Hawaii

Derek649
Level 1
Oskaloosa, IA

Hawaii

Hello, what is going on in Hawaii with their new rule as to only renting by the month.

We have had a house rented for a week for at least 3 months. Come to find out today 10-10-24 that we are canceled.

We leave on 10-23-24 and now are scrambling to find somewhere to go. Also, it won't be credited to our account for 3-5 days.

How can the normal person go to Hawaii and stay for a month let alone pay for a whole month.

Has anyone encountered this?

**

Thanks

**[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

4 Replies 4
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Derek649

I'm really sorry to hear your booking was cancelled! Where did you find that information regarding a new regulation only allowing stays of a certain length?

If I look at listings in Hawaii it seems to let me enter stays of any length and it would be very useful to understand more about your situation. 

I hope you find an alternative place to stay soon! 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hello, when we booked our first reservation it was for a week. 5 months later the host canceled us and let us know why. I called a news station in Oahu and the woman explained to me that there was a law implemented by Lobbyist for the Resorts to impose monthly stays at Airbnb's. You can book a reservation, but you will most likely get canceled. 

AIRBNB does not state that when booking through them, even they know about it. Yes, there are places that apparently are "Grandfathered" in, but you don't know because it doesn't say. Our second got canceled also. Good thing my son in Law is in the Military because we have 2 cabins on a beach on an installation. AIRBNB needs to be a little clearer on booking trips to Hawaii.

Thanks, Derek 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am sorry to hear that...It sounds perhaps that you booked with  a host that didn't have a permit to offer short stays under a month @Derek649 

Has Airbnb been able to suggest alternatives accommodation ? 

Hello, when booking, you don't know if that is a weekly rental for sure. You don't find out until it is canceled. No, Airbnb hasn't offered any suggestions.