Help! I can't get AirBnB to understand that we are not in the jurisdiction of the city so we cannot get a permit from them!

Robn0
Level 2
Sequim, WA

Help! I can't get AirBnB to understand that we are not in the jurisdiction of the city so we cannot get a permit from them!

They think I need a permit from the city whose name is part of our address, but the address is outside of the city and it has no jurisdiction there.  Only the county has jurisdiction.  The county does not issue permits for vacation rentals.  The city will not issue one to us either because we are not in the city. They have only given me until Nov. 1st to show them a permit.  Everyone I've talked with just "assures" us that  they have done their homework and we are "definitely" in the city and redirects us to the link to submit the registration that requires a permit from the city!  ARGH!   We've talked with four agents and they supposedly talked with supervisors.  

2 Replies 2
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Robn0

Like many of us who have contacted ABB outsourced Customer Services, you have likely been talking to several of 60,000 plus people contracted out through Telus, a Canadian Business Customer Services agents, who lack appropriate training in understanding different Legal Jurisdictions and Legislation.

Unfortunately society has lost the plot and where once upon a time people were trained competently with Administration Law and Critical thinking, it rarely exists in many places.

Filling out forms that have been Copy and Pasted online by some Hardware/ Software Tech Business out to make a profit is not just a case of Ticking or Crossing out Boxes, it requires proper Human Intervention and not a Prejudicial Programmer.

The Business and Education systems need a serious Reset.

Hi @Robn0 

I took a quick look at the map and it does seem to appear you are within the limits of Port Angeles city limits? I'm assuming you have the correct legal address on the listing?

Have you contacted the City of Port Angeles and asked them to verify you do not need a permit as you are not within the city boundaries? If not, I suggest you contact them and ask them to respond via email that you are not within the city limits of Port Angeles (note address in email) and therefore do not need a permit. Once you have the email from the City, I would contact Airbnb with a screen shot of the email.

If you do have written comfirmation from the City of Port Angeles that the listing address is NOT within the City limits, then can you post back here and perhaps one of the moderators can help forward this issue to the appropriate Team at Airbnb.