Host is asking payment outside airbnb

Alisson26
Level 2
Atibaia, Brazil

Host is asking payment outside airbnb

I found a place to stay, ask to host about pets, she didn't nothing about, so I did my reservation, pay all. Then the afterward my payment, the host charge me more 500 euros for pet taxes, gas taxes, and tourist taxes. So almost half of the entire reservation value. And worst, the host asked me pay this new value directly to her, instead use aribnb. I asked to cancel my reservation, what did airbnb reply? "we can do nothing"....

34 Replies 34
Alisson26
Level 2
Atibaia, Brazil

After I argue a lot, they gave me a small answer, and now they even replay me more. Take a look at it:

"Allison, the check in is for the 25/03 but the payment is collected by Airbnb the same day as reservation is confirmed, that was the 23/03
AS I explained you to be able to refund you, we need the approval of the host, who owns the money not Airbnb anymore.
I have already started the negotiation with the host and I hope we could reach a fair resolution"

So the host did a ilegal operation outside Airbnb and does it fine???! I hope never more need the aribnb's services. Somenone could say where I can complaint agains airbnb?

Someone Did already call the police to solve aribnb issues?

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Alisson26 Here is some information for you on extra fees and such,

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/251/what-if-a-host-asks-for-more-money#:~:text=If%20a%20host%20as....

Did you in fact book this on Airbnb? The response from Airbnb only makes sense if you didn't. Parts of your story are ringing alarm bells.

**[Private conversation hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

Hi @Colleen253 

unfortunatly it really happend, see the first answer is regard that the owner now has the power over my payment, and they couldn't make nothing, even when the host asked me to pay outside aribnb platform. 

Alisson26
Level 2
Atibaia, Brazil

Now see the host charge me the surplus just afterward my payment....and remember I'd asked about my dogs, and on advertisement she didn't say nothing about the tourist taxes, or how much by the pets, eventhoug I'd asked before. So my reservation through airbnb was about 1300, for 33 days, but then after my payment the host charme me 503,00 and asked to I make it directly with her.

Alisson26
Level 2
Atibaia, Brazil

@Colleen253  we need share this situation, cause airbnb is so absence so nasty to handle what they should do. But looking on internet I'd found a lot , lot of situation like wise this one:

But the most famous is this one:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/epgvm7/airbnb-scam-how-to-tell

Alisson26
Level 2
Atibaia, Brazil

@Colleen253  I'm afraid the airbnb exclude my profile cause I'm show for everyone about theirs crimes, could you help me spreed this message?

Alisson26
Level 2
Atibaia, Brazil

BTW about the refund of part of gas the host already said the I need have a Dutch habist, keep the windows open, use moleton insedi home, and so on, otherwise she won't refund me.....

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Alisson26 

Is it an accomodation in The Netherlands ?

If so:

- Tourist Tax is not charged in the correct way.

- The Pet fee must be mentioned in the listing

- The Gas pre-payment is not allowed.

Such listing must be reported to Airbnb as it is violating several terms of service

@Emiel1 thanks by the comment, so as you can realized the host was so wrong, but I could solve that issues following:

"...the first guy named as Harald from Airbnb Support, gave me a poor solution, any feedback, he did a mess. However a woman called Teresa R (through a call to airbnb), help a lot and she could solve the problem and I'll be refund."

Alisson26
Level 2
Atibaia, Brazil

The host is so much benevolent that make me a discount , I'll pay just 345 as surplus, meanwhile Aribnb is watching everything without gimme any feedback or support than the owner is how decided, eventhough she is asking for surplus payment outside the paltform.

@Alisson26 I'm not entirely sure what's going on here and I don't have time to examine it more closely, but it sounds sketchy. Please refer to the link I gave you above, and contact Airbnb again. I would recommend chat so that you can share links to policy, as some CS are not even familiar with basic policy. Also, know that Airbnb has the ability to see your conversation history with a host, which is why it's very important to keep communication on platform. Don't pay this host any more money, off platform or on, until you get this sorted. Hopefully you can reach a competent CS rep next time. Ask for it to be escalated if need be. In the meantime, you can also report this host. Also note that Airbnb does take your payment at booking, but holds onto your funds and the host is not paid out until 24 hours or more post check in.

@Colleen253 actually it's happend I did a international call to airbnb Brazil internacional, cause I couldn't find other one, and then a woman, CS as you said, look at my situation and said that what the host is doing is totally illegal...and she is trying cancel it, but for now, nothing , I'll post here the end of this drama.

thanks