Host wants me to cancel my trip

Marin5
Level 1
Zagreb, Croatia

Host wants me to cancel my trip

Hello, 

I booked trip to France 2 days ago
Apartment had an instant book option so I picked my dates and my credit card was charged. 
Host started conversation with me and everything was fine. 

But, today he sent me message and said that he can't host because his family comes on weekend I booked. 

He asked me to cancel my reservation and said that he can refund service fee. 

I haven't been in this situation yet, but I think he has to cancel that reservation?!
I'm not the one who wants to cancel trip. 

What is the best (safest, easiest) way for me to get my money back? 

Thank you! 
Best regards, 
Marin 

92 Replies 92
Holly595
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hey, I got this message from my host today:

Hi Holly
Thanks for checking in . We have just had some issues come up that will have to be sorted with the water only running cold and stove . I’m not sure with all we have going on there if I can get this up to speed in time for your rental. There are several other things that need attending to but the issue was that with this cold winter extending in to summer this year we haven’t been able to get up there ( normally we are there summer prepping it since April but it’s been too cold ) anyhow sorry for long reply just thinkng if might be best for you to cancel- I’ll of course immediately refund you in full now .. so that you can secure something much ahead . If you prefer to wait till closer to and see if we can sort it all of course wait just I think it’s unlikely ( it’s all unfolding now and you were on my list to message )don’t want you to be stuck not getting something you want . And yes normally propety is all yours
Many apologies

What should I do?

Also, my reservation says "Free Cancellation before 3:00pm on Jul. 18"

So should I trust them to refund me?  What recourse do I have if they don't pay me?

Shouldn't they cancel?

Thank you.

Holly

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Holly595,

Do not cancel on behalf of the host, because you may not get a refund on the Airbnb service fees.  If the host is unable to accommodate your stay then it's their responsibility to do the cancellation.  They are trying to avoid paying the host cancellation penalty, and having the cancellation appear in their reviews.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
Matt4897
Level 2
Carson, CA