Hosting in Greece, Tax issues

Lida17
Level 1
Grünwald, Germany

Hosting in Greece, Tax issues

Some time ago, Airbnb has sent us an email informing us that Article 29 of the Greek Tax Law 4646/2019 requires Airbnb to provide to the Authority for Public Revenues of the Hellenic Republic (IAPR) certain tax-related information on the hosting activity, including Greek tax ID or VAT ID, Name, date of birth, email, and phone number, Gross earnings from reservations, and Listing property address.

As a result of these new rules, they are asking all hosts with listings located in Greece to provide them with their taxpayer information.

I cannot give the information required as I am not the owner of the rentals; I am a property manager based in Germany and promoting several listings located in Greece; with different Tax Ids, VAT Ids, property addresses and earnings. I have contacted Airbnb and asked them for help, but they have told me that there is no option given in the platform to insert this data per owner and per listing, but just one time under the account details (but the account is on the name of my rental company).

Does anybody know how to deal with this?

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lida17 I would talk to a Greek tax expert urgently. You will likely have to register for Greek tax as a company and then supply each of the owners (and possibly the greek tax authorities) with earnings information.

Many thanks Mike and Jane. I do have a tax number as a company but not a Greek one, as my company is based in Germany. I have tried to give my tax number in the platform, but  it has not been accepted, as it is a German tax (it´s an other format). But thank you anyway for your help.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As Mike says as a property manager it's important to be familiar with the tax laws in the countries you are running your business in and how you need to set up the listings to comply with local tax regulations.

If the properties are listed in the owners names .I wouldn't have thought there would be any issue as you can ask the hosts for their tax details to add on to their listings. 

Thank you Helen! That´s what I have understood now: I will need to list the property on the owners names and not on the name of my rental agency company. That would solve all problems and I will proceed this way.