How can I prevent same day booking requests without penalty for declining?

Alanna50
Level 2
Nanaimo, Canada

How can I prevent same day booking requests without penalty for declining?

We don't allow same day requests for booking, ever.

Our Airbnb space is also our workspace studio and we don't keep it readily available for same day bookings, so we have this featured turned off, 2 days notice minimum.

Well i keep getting last minute same day requests anyways and it says I have to approve or decline. 

I have to decline, is this going to impact my score?

Why are they allowing these to come through, it's against my booking window and I don't want to receive any same day requests so why can't i block these from coming through at all?  I have it set to 48 hours notice for requests and i double checked again today, it still says the same thing. 

Am i being penalized for declining them when they are against our booking policies?  I had 2 already today so it's very frustrating and we are not in a high demand area and there's lots of hotel availability.

I had another guest request a 4 day stay today but in their comments asked it to be a one night stay only. We only do 4 night minimums at that property so again super annoying that I have to decline and potential get penalized as the guest made a booking request but they didn't actually want to honour their own request, they were trying to get something different all together. 

Is there something i am missing that can totally block same day requests? 

Am i being penalized for these declines? It's a little ridiculous.

23 Replies 23

@Alanna50 In “Calendar Availability”->“Advance notice“, select “At least 2 days notice”, under that choice box, there is check box “For Instant Book Hosts: Allow guests to send reservation requests without advance notice.”, uncheck that.

CDA5EB5B-A3C7-4D23-B645-CD4DF36EFEAD.png

thank you so much! that's the one little thing i was missing.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Alanna50,

Update the availability settings to 48 hours between bookings.  In Airbnb terms, this actually means 24 hours between bookings.  Make sure that guests are still able to send reservation requests for stays that begin within 48 hours.

Debra300_0-1634090800451.png

Debra300_1-1634090987225.png

thank you that's the setting i had it on, its the check box i needed to turn off

@Debra300 Sorry, duplicate your picture.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Alanna50 @Z-2 @Debra300 

Thanks for that information. I didn’t know about it.

I just unchecked the box on our listing.

We still get requests but hit “decline” and it will give you the option of scolding why to the guest. You can just check “doesn’t fit their needs” and then in the message write “unable to accommodate same day reservations.)

I have that AND a max of 5 people but still get “can you do seven? We could make it work.”

Apparently people think “no” is flexible if they ask nicely. Sigh. 😡

I didn't know there is a penalty for declining   a guest ????  Since when ?  How do I not know this ?  I decline all the time if we are not the right location for a guests ' request.  Gina-And-Jose-0 A pop up just told me to correct highlighted errors but there are none and I got the pop up anyway.  ?  What is this ?  

What is '' level 5 ''  ? I see it by our name here.  What  does it mean ?   Again the pop up saying highlighted errors and correct but there are no highlighted errors indicated ?  Very confusing.  

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Gina-And-Jose-0 

You’re now level 6. It’s just an indication of how often you use the community forum.

That other pop up about highlighted errors is meaningless. Just another bug.

Goody on the bug 

WE just had a very upsetting situation with a guest who came for a few hours then left without even telling me, without talking to me.   She took photos and sent them with some explanation of them in her mind.  I addressed this but she accepted nothing of what I said.  It is upsetting to encounter this.  I never did before in all  the years of hosting.  Her profile says she is also a host. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Gina-And-Jose-0 

This has happened to us more than once.

People are sometimes too lazy to read the listing, imagine something that doesn’t exist, and then blame the host when they learn the truth.

Some of us refuse to accept other hosts as guests, particularly if they live nearby.

There are people mean enough to try to destroy their competition with bad reviews.