How to be a Superhost

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How to be a Superhost

Superhost.jpg

Hello everyone,

If you’re new here, welcome to the Community Center! The Community Center is a place for our global community of hosts to connect and share ideas.

Join this discussion to learn about what it takes to be a Superhost. Superhosts go above and beyond for every guest and often share valuable tips for creating great stays. From thoughtful gestures like leaving chocolates on pillows to welcoming guests with a handwritten note, there are many ways to be an outstanding host.

Do you have a favorite hosting tip? Share what you do to go the extra mile below. Click “Join the Conversation” to participate.

We look forward to hearing your tips!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

256 Replies 256
Avery46
Level 2
Lincoln, NE

I'm Avery, I've been hosting for just a couple months, and while the majority of guests at my home have been great, I found myself here while trying to deal with my first really nasty guest.  So many people are fantastic but this one is opportunist and suggested I should offer her a free stay and assured me she'd write a good review.  Some people>>>>grr.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Avery46  I honestly can't understand what goes through the minds of these people. "I'll say nice things about you if you provide me with free accommodation". The sense of entitlement is baffling to me.

After complaining about the toxic air quality then declining my ‘refund if you go elsewhere’ offer because she had to work.   Snuck in cat peed in bedroom too. 
ridiculous. 

But lots of lessons learned about last minute bookings!  Never rush, ask the questions. 

@Avery46  I've ever accepted last minute bookings. I set 2 day advance notice when I first started hosting and am glad I did. 

They also seem to be the most risky as far as getting paid. The guest stays, then Airbnb says "Oh, so sorry, but we were unable to collect the payment, you're s**t outta luck".

@Sarah977 

So many valuable lessons, but "We were unable to collect payment"!  That's garbage!  I'm glad I've never experienced that kind of nonsense.  

She was my first same day booking. I see the mistakes I made in screening and being too eager to offer discount (and I screwed up and omitted the cleaning fee to boot!). Those are absolutely my mistakes.  

I don't want to kill that option entirely though.  My house is 5 min from a major interstate and Covid travel has resulted in tons of one night stays, my cleaning fee has been upped to reflect the work disinfecting after cleaning require and all but one guest seem just fine about it.  But rushing my screening questions won't happen again and I'm not messing with that Special offer option in the future. 

If you're traveling with a cat, and a immuno-compromised kid, have unique sensitivities to disinfectants and are booking stays last minute, you probably aren't the kind of person anyone can please, much less someone like me who takes this stuff personally and seriously.  

@Avery46  The 2 day advance notice works for me because my guests are mostly all flying here internationally, or taking the bus from other parts of Mexico, so no one is looking for last minute or next day bookings, as they've had to make lots of travel plans in advance.

I know that for many hosts, people are just passing through and staying for a night or two, so they'd lose a lot of bookings if much advance notice was required.

Glenn258
Level 2
Fayetteville, TN

Before we bought our condo, I did a lot of reading and research on how to handle it. I have heard of "super host" status but how do you get there and how do you know if you are there?

Soufian24
Level 2
Marrakesh, Morocco

hello i m soufian  I have met amazing people with amazing stories. I love being an Airbnb superhost......

Renata451
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

Hello all. I'm new here. I'm from Phoenix and our property is at Rocky Point. I few Airbnb is so hard to navigate. Our place is management by the resort but I aslo can list it so this way I would receive a better revenue. I cant find a all to include the resort fees for all the great amenities' they have in the listing , so I place it on my notes. I want to place it on instant booking but since I can't find how to add the fees and then I have to check the owner resort portal for availability. I feel so overwhelmed and all over the place.

Any help, if you can check my listing  , advice I will appreciate

@Renata451 

I would not suggest using instant book if you do not own the calendar for your listing. This will result in you having to cancel when the dates do not line up.

If you have the ability to have certainty of the dates that are available then only make those dates available in your calendar for booking. Instant book only works for you as a host if the dates are locked in for the guest to stay.

You did not post your listing here - I would be happy to take a look for you.

Harold75
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

As an Airbnb guest, I had the town water cut off on my stay.   I asked for help,  *Newbie* Host replied:     Not my fault 😞   it is the town fault

If that was my guest,  I would offer bottled water, hand sanitizer,  , etc.  How can I make this better for you?   I would offer to cancel the stay and contact Airbnb for help to place the guest elsewhere.  

Do you see the difference?   

Jen-Marie0
Level 5
Ruckersville, VA

I have been a Superhost for 3 years and keep growing my listing base - I love the technology to manage my listings here and have also fine tuned how I set up my listings to make them feel homey and to consistently provide a nice guest experience. I look forward to sharing tips and tricks with the community.

how do we get lots of reviews for our property

Thank you

Rita

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Well in my case I think it was more what I did not do, cancel any reservations.

As I have a lot of short stays I also have the advantage that no one review makes much difference, I find most people are fine and of course there is always the odd one but they have no impact on me so I do not let it worry me.

I do sympathise with those who have fewer longer stays, and a weird one.

David