How to be a Superhost

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How to be a Superhost

Superhost.jpg

Hello everyone,

If you’re new here, welcome to the Community Center! The Community Center is a place for our global community of hosts to connect and share ideas.

Join this discussion to learn about what it takes to be a Superhost. Superhosts go above and beyond for every guest and often share valuable tips for creating great stays. From thoughtful gestures like leaving chocolates on pillows to welcoming guests with a handwritten note, there are many ways to be an outstanding host.

Do you have a favorite hosting tip? Share what you do to go the extra mile below. Click “Join the Conversation” to participate.

We look forward to hearing your tips!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

256 Replies 256

No. It's a part of the game. The more frightening - the better. I think, they are getting excited by the process. I have to charge extras for my style. P.S. The dude I locked was from booking com. He said, he had profile on airbnb also. But, I bet that horror writer already got so many bad reviews in his profile so he went for another booking company to get a chance to book at least some property at last moment. Coz any normal owner would refuse on airbnb with such pre-history of behavior. On booking com he is in the black list of users already.

Anthea29
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

There is no support from air B and B for guests that cause damage and nick stuff despite what they promise. They do not vet people properly and as far as i am concerned only interested in their profit.

Anthea29
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

As  superhost of you think somone is going to give you a not very good review because they are one of those people that have to find fault then i would advise not to do a review and then they can't do a review and not everyone does a review anyway. i find it very stressful all this review superhost stuff, very American and all a hype. I would just rather enjoy the old fashioned British way of dealing with guests. Most Air Band B don't rebook in my experience anyway.

Also i find there is a great pressure on hosts to lower the price.as with most things we are doing all the work, getting the stress and a big company is making a lot of profit out of us beavering away, so eventually i might switch to a monday to friday, less work, no tax and no silly reviews to fill in.

Hi that is not true that if you don’t do a review they can’t .  Host and guest each have 14 days from checkout to submit.  Whoever writes one gets published . 

明3
Level 2
Qinhuangdao, China

Good Ideas !!! 

Lucas366
Level 2
Paris, France

Canceled

Lauren685
Level 2
Annapolis, MD

I am wondering if someone can explane the level number under each host's name?  Thanks!

Christina772
Level 2
Colorado Springs, CO

Being a Superhost on AirBnB, I personally go above and beyond for all my guests! Some things that I do that go above and beyond for my guests are...

1. I bought mini fridges for each AirBnB room I rent and I stock water inside.

2. I leave 2-3 spa face masks (not mud ones cause they’re messy) in the bathroom for guests. These don’t get used often, but when they do, guests love it!

3. I stock the bathroom with cotton balls, q-tips, travel toothpaste, travel toothbrushes, peroxide, & band-aides. People don’t use these often either, but I’ve had a lady mention this in her rating and she left me a stinkin’ awesome review!

4. To the room, I’ve added a sleeping noise machine, heated blanket, & fan. I’ve had guests use all 3.

5. I recently added wall mounted heaters, that include a thermostat, to my rooms that way during the cold winter months, guests can heat their rooms to the temperature they prefer.

These are just personal things that I do & offer that I believe are above and beyond things for all of my guests!

@Christina772 

Most of these are things we do as well, plus others that are specific to our location. I have traveled a lot in my life and use my own experiences as a basis of what I might wish for. I also furnish and stock my guest space the way I do my own living quarters, with the same high quality everything. It is such a pleasure to pamper my guests!

Andrea2934
Level 2
Washington, DC

I JUST...48hrs ago...got my super host status. What I learned...1 have a decent matress to start...as we got more guests we were able to get an AMAZING matress at a super discount$...overstock.com

My guests were eager to give me feedback AND wonderful suggestions...get an iron and ironing board...hair dryer...one guest suggested shampoo and conditioner...soap...one of our more recent guests forgot tooth paste. So we bought large sizes of shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair I am a hairstylist...fyi...and large bottles of body wash. And now keep travel sizes of tooth paste and mouth wash in addition to disposable razors. I would also suggest band aids and Neosporin...just in case...cleaning supplies and extra paper towels and bathroom tissue. One thing I have been 100% surprised was washcloths...I keep them in a basket in the bathroom. My husband and I host ALOT of Int'l guests and they LOVE it and use them!  Another important and WELL loved thing is a coffee maker and GREAT coffee...complete with creamers that don't need to be refrigerated...sugar...and a non sugar..like splenda. We also offer tea bags and during the winter hot chocolate mixes. We have amassed LOTS of brochures...bus and subway maps and our favorite restaurant menus...hope this helps. BTW....NEVER nickel and dime...we post our prices and we advertise we welcome pets and smokers (on our balcony)...It REALLY makes a huge difference to booking...and making our guests feel special.

Sorry...one other thing about my listing is my husband and I live here. So we make SURE we are available to greet our guests. We have a few quirks ...how to use their shower and how to enter and exit the building...we have found by being flexible...i.e flights or transportation issues by our guests...AND allowing them to store their luggage...after check out has REALLY gone a long way to their experience. I also do walking tours IF they want...and have made LOTS of lovely friends. It's really been a fantastic experience!

Sara-Lea0
Level 1
Stroud, United Kingdom

I have a small cosy apartment in lovely surroundings with beautiful views and lots of trees.  This already makes my guest take a deep breath and relax.  Of course not every guests is a soul mate, but because my home is small and intimate, there are many guests I have very wonderful conversations with and I think we both feel enriched by the communications we share.   My guests also love their breakfasts.  My home is entirely organic and I really appreciate it when guests actually look at my profile and try to match their needs with mine.   We really need to stay in homes that we can feel comfortable in and I think that is key to the experience.

Tanis0
Level 2
Portland, OR

I am pausing my listing for a while so I'm reflecting on some of the things that went well over the past 2.5 years and things I would do differently. If I host again I'll charge for early check-in/late check-out. It throws off my whole routine. I would also limit the amount of toilet paper, towels, garbage bags, blankets, pillows, basic kitchen items, tissue, etc. that I leave available. People seem to use it if it's there even if excessive. I would also vet people more thoroughly, based on past reviews, and give less benefit of the doubt with my own reviews. I would have all white sheets, towels with dark, patterned comforters. I would have priced the place higher in my first year rather than use the auto pricing. Also, I'd leave no items in the house that I care about if they disappear or break. I'd have damage deposit from the beginning and use it instead of worrying about their review. That being said, I'd say 10% of guests were perfect, 70% were just fine,  10% could have done better, and 10% I was not happy with how they left the place. 

Andrew1991
Level 2
Charlotte, NC

Hi there!

I'm Andy, also a super host.  We own and operate 3 entire spaces and do ONLY extended stays of 30 days or longer.  We have carved out our on niche and work with realtors in my area to help folks relocating to or from the Charlotte, NC area.  I like to provide all the housing information on the refrigerator and I also email it to my guests before they arrive.  We prefer to use lock boxes and sometimes don'e even meet our guests.  One thing we strive to do is handle issues as they arise as quickly as possible.  This could be anything from the air conditioning being out, to a heating element going bad in the oven.  We strive to be a cost effective, clean and pet friendly solution for people needing to live "home away from home" for a while.  We try to be very diligent and accept all reservations that come our way.  I have only had to cancel one reservation and that was due to double booking.  

Laszlo31
Level 1
Bernards, NJ

Hi all, I'm new here and thought I say hello.  I am an architect who lives in New Jersey and hosts short term guests in my apartment since I also live with my GF.

Since the place I rent is my own place, I do meet everyone face to face and give them a quick tour of the place.  I also do this since my home is hard to find give where the GPS takes you.  Being there makes it easier to communicate and to get guests to the right spot.  Most guests have been very respectful of my home, and I feel that meeting them first sets a tone for my expectations as to how to use my house.

Even during the pandemic, my place has been renting at 65%, and I need to turn people away to allow time between guests as I feel that leaving the apartment empty for at least 2-3 days will make it safer in terms of the virus.