How to determine a licensed Airbnb and a Class B dwelling- New York City

Sophia353
Level 3
New York, NY

How to determine a licensed Airbnb and a Class B dwelling- New York City

For anyone curious about current active Airbnb listings providing STR in NYC:

Go to any listing, click on "About this space", scroll all the way down, you will see "Registration Number". If you see numbers there, it is a licensed listing. If you see "Exempt", it is a Class B dwelling. You will be surprised to see how many CBDs on this platform.

Welcome any comments and discussions.

**Title updated by Community Manager

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sophia353 A minor point but I assume your post only applies to New York City? 

You are correct! I forgot to mention about NYC.

Breanna
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Hi @Sophia353!

What's the difference/relevance of a licensed listing versus a Class B dwelling? I know there have been a lot of new regulations lately but I'm quite curious to know. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi, Breanna

The past few months have been challenging for NYC Airbnb hosts and tourists due to Local Law 18, which requires Airbnb hosts offering short-term rentals (STR) to obtain a license from OSE (The Mayor's Office of Special Enforcement). Unfortunately, many STR hosts were unable to secure their licenses by the September 5th deadline. As a result, short-term bookings are no longer available, and only 30-day+ options remain. 

I think many STR hosts are curious about who has recently obtained their license and who can continue operating their inn business (Class B Dwelling) without one.