How to manage other peoples property

How to manage other peoples property

I have a friend of the family that’s almost done remodeling three small apartments right next to the beach he wants me to manage I already am hosting my own studio apartment how would I go about hosting his three appointments and how much should I charge to take care of the apartments

4 Replies 4
Brenda328
Level 10
South Dakota, United States

Where are you located?  In many areas you must be licensed as a real estate agent/property manager to be compensated for managing properties other than those you own. 

Huntsville, Alabama

Can I host from here and live somewhere else, just curious…

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Michel6104 as @Brenda328 says check local laws. In my locality you cannot call yourself a "property manager" or advertise properties if you don't have a real estate license-- but you can be an Airbnb "co-host" as long as you don't do either of those things. How much to charge depends on local market and your specific duties. This generally includes 100% of cleaning fees and anywhere from 10% to 40% of rent.  (My local co-host gets 30%.) IMO it's important to have a written contract with the owner that specifies exactly who is responsible for what.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1243/cohosts-an-introduction