I just learned the hard way! Don't be nice and put flexible cancellation policy. You will get burned

Todd667
Level 2
Wilmington, NC

I just learned the hard way! Don't be nice and put flexible cancellation policy. You will get burned

Yes had my first cancellation that has been booked for 30 days for 6 nights. I had flexible on my cancellation policy. And yes they cancelled four days before the booking. That really is messed up of course I had a trip planned and made my reservations in Florida. I can't cancel them they took my deposit.  I am not complaining because I am the one that put flexible. Well not anymore. I don't want to be too strict on people that have a one-night stay, is there a way for a longer stay to make those a little more difficult to cancel? Is there a way to maybe collect a non-refundable deposit? 

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

@Todd667 

You cannot presently set different cancelation policies for different lengths of stay. There is also no security deposit option. You can choose the cancellation policy that suits you best, keeping in mind (especially if you're in a competitive market) that your visibility may be affected.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Todd667 sadly there is no way to do what you want. We always operated a Strict policy which was fine even when the market is saturated with hosts. I could say especially when the market is saturated because guests can book with a flexible host and then shop around for a better/cheaper place a few days out. Many of our bookings were at short lead time so perhaps we benefited from others misfortune!