I need help

Maria12289
Level 2
New York, NY

I need help

I booked two places by mistake. Last night I requested one. It was not answered. This morning (I have very bad mornings due to a nervous system injury), I instant booked another and got accepted by the first one at the same time ! I tried to call air b and b right away, they would not do anything. I canceled the instant book, for sure the host would return my 1600.00 , I thought. She refused. It is 1600.00. She did nothing to earn that money, it was a mistake. It was canceled right after.  What can I do? I am dead broke.  I just started recovering from this brain injury and this is all the money I had. I cant get over a person keeping 1600.00 just like that.  It was a mistake and this is theft. Please help. 

35 Replies 35

@Helen350 @Why are you assuming I know that air B and B has scams ?  Serious . This is odd.  You think I know that air B and B doesn’t have legit profiles ? Because ive been on it ?   I was a host , you tho k I had a fake profile ? I used to charge 25.00 a night , for an entire apt . Why would I think some were illegal ? 

@Maria12289  No one scammed you.  As a long time user of airbnb you surely know the difference between Instant Book, making an inquiry and a request to book.  

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Maria12289 There is NO reason to think the host who refused to refund you was/is a scammer. She is acting within the terms of Airbnb NOT to give refunds to bookings cancelled on arrival day..... Just because YOU made an unfortunate costly mistake, is no reason for her to forgo the money which is rightfully hers.... 

Please just let it go.......

@Maria12289 When it comes to ethics, a contract makes for a great shortcut - the primary ethical obligation of both parties is to honor the terms of the agreement. Unfortunately, in your case there is a terribly lopsided distribution of benefit and loss. I'm sure anyone in your situation would hope that the host would be inspired by empathy to sacrifice at least some of their benefit to lessen the inequality. But most people have a hard time summoning compassion for a stranger who's mad at them, especially when money is involved.

Im genuinely sorry this mistake cost you so dearly, and I wish all the best for your health and work situation. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Perhaps you can ask the host to let you move dates and you can prolong your stay?  Did you try to ask the other host of they would be willing to refund and you can stay here instead?

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Maria12289 

Last night I requested to book a place. It was not answered.

At that point, until the response period had lapsed, Maria should have been prevented from making another enquiry or booking for the same calendar period with another host in order to prevent problems. She wasn't.

On attempting to make another enquiry or booking for the same period the booking system could easily prompt the necessity to cancel the previous enquiry and risk losing  the first accommodation before continuing on with a new enquiry.