I want to refund a guest due to covid, but not sure how best to do it

I want to refund a guest due to covid, but not sure how best to do it

Our guests can't travel due to covid restrictions in NZ and I would like to refund the guests the portion we were going to get paid. How best should I do this?

- They request a refund?

- They cancel the trip? However, I have a strict cancellation policy - how would I refund them?

Any help appreciated,

Hilary

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Thomas2480 

Your guest (not you, even if you receive request to do so !) need to cancel the reservation, the cancellation policy will calculate the refund. After that you can use "sent money" option in the reservation to refund the guest the remaining part.

Bronwyn23
Level 1
Christchurch, New Zealand

Hi Thomas

I have the strict cancellation policy on a booking that I wish to allow my guests to cancel and get a  full refund .  Due to latest Covid outbreak in New Zealand guests cannot fly to NZ.

If they cancel and I use the "sent money "option will I get the deposit  less airbnb charges?

So Airbnb pay me the deposit less Airbnb  charges once the people cancel.?  I then send that to guests? Appreciate your help with the above

Thanks

Bronwyn

I had a similar situation and I rang Airbnb customer service, explained that I wanted to override my cancellation policy and wanted the guest to have a complete refund including service fees. Just like the booking never happened is how i explained it. Customer service handled it with no penalty to either party.