In search of ways to get rid of old-home smell

Jean118
Level 4
Atlanta, GA

In search of ways to get rid of old-home smell

My Airbnb is a 55 year old property which in and of itself packs a lot of charm / personality.  The thing is, it also comes with a slight old-home smell, which I'd like to get rid of (that's been mentioned, in fact in more than one review). . I use an ozone machine, & open the windows but I still need something to bring in a layer of freshness. Anyone with older / historic Airbnb's have any ideas?  I don't love the artificial smelling plug ins and/or incense . Luckily the holidays allows for the pleasant scents from the Carolina Cypress Christmas tree and wreaths to float throughout the property, but other times of the year, I'm stuck . .

Thanks

Jean

32 Replies 32

@Branka-and-Silvia0  A dehumidifier also really helps cool a place in humid summers. I don't use one, because I have neither AC nor heat, so doors and windows are open in the summer. But I have a big cooler because they seal well, that I keep important paperwork and keepsakes in, with a container of moisture-absorbing beads in it, otherwise papers get moldy and funky here. And when I open that box, the temperature inside of it is way cooler than the ambient temperature. The dry air in the container is much cooler than the humid air around it.

Which is a good example of weather reports that say the temp is 25C degrees, but "feels like" 29, if there's high humidity.

I'm not sure, but I wonder if it would work the other way round, too. When I lived in coastal British Columbia,  the actual temperature might not be particularly cold in the winter, but it drizzles and rains so much that it can feel bone-chillingly cold. Maybe using a dehumidifer in that case would warm things up.

@Sarah977of course, it is easier to warm up a room if it is dry.

This is so interesting... keeping documents in an old cooler 🙂 Smart solution

@Branka-and-Silvia0 It was actually a brand new cooler I bought years ago for that specific purpose. I didn't come up with the idea on my own- a friend who's lived here for much longer than I have told me she keeps leather shoes and bags in one, as those things get moldy here really quickly. 

@Branka-and-Silvia0  If I only tell you how many I asked for you’ll never know how many are on the bed at the moment 🤣

I haven’t been to stay at your place.  After I do, you’ll be able to say, “Only one guest has ever asked for more pillows.”  😇😇😇

@Ann72  And what do you do with the plethora of pillows, pray tell?

They’re necessary, but only first-hand observers understand why 🙂 @Sarah977 

@Ann72  Oh, you're so cagey, dear. I'm picturing you arranging yourself on the bed deep in pillows, a couple of serfs fanning you with palm leaves, a glass of fine vintage wine in hand, eating grapes and caviar 🙂

😅😅😅 @Sarah977!!!  I’m going with that until it comes true.

@Sarah977  My acquaintance survived this terrible car accident with a single tiny scratch thanks to some 12 safety air pillows in his Audi. https://www.jutarnji.hr/video/news/sokantna-snimka-audi-u-punoj-brzini-kosio-sve-pred-sobom-pjesaci-...

In case of any disaster like a hurricane, tsunami, earthquake, explosion....even if the entire hotel perish into the sinkhole.... we know @Ann72 will survive 😄 😄 😄

@Branka-and-Silvia0  You see???  I rest my case! As I’m in Los Angeles right now, you won’t have to worry if you hear there’s been an earthquake. 😂😂😂

@Jean118, have we answered your question in spite of all the hijinks?  😆

Wow @Branka-and-Silvia0 what a trauma. Especially for that pedestrian who of course would have felt blame lay with your friend??? Thank godness for this evidence. Clearly the vehicle in the outer lane was responsible.

Well I'm glad you have your cushions @Ann72 after that!! 

Kim866
Level 7
Puryear, TN

@Jean118 --I would think moisture is the culprit--try a dehumidifier and put Damp Rid in any cabinets or closets that tend to have an odor.

Good luck!!!!!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

My friend has an Airbnb in the ground floor - basement and it wasn't humid. until one guest stayed there for a week and didn't open the windows at all and then complained in his review about how the apartment is humid and has a bad smell.

Btw I've noticed how Asian and American guests don't have a habit to open the windows to air the place like European guests. I don't know why maybe they are used to having some ventilation system at home.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Jean118, go back through your reviews/ private feedback and think back to where this 'Old Home' smell came about.

There are some Imitation Tobacco products that can and do smell like that so maybe that's where it's surfaced from.

Your home is immaculate.

I love your Yellow flooring, is it the original Lino?

Make sure you get your upholstery aired outdoors in the fresh air and cleaned to rid any possible smells/ odours that may be where the smells are impregnated in them.

Baking Soda is a good neutraliser.

Meanwhile a friend was telling me about this trick for cleaning during the week which I intend to try.

Chop up 4 lemon skins, add 2 and a half cups of white vinegar and leave for 3-4 weeks in a container to soak.

Then drain off the liquid into a bottle to spray from and discard the skins.

It makes a fabulous natural cleaning product with the hint of lemon.

@Branka-and-Silvia0"Open Air Windows" was created in New Zealand by Sir Truby King in the 1920's in and followed by Germany, Europe, Russia and Australia - Works 100%.

We must teach others about this natural Ventilation Best Practice and encourage it to be incorporated in to new Housing and Buildings..it's far healthier for buildings and people than some of these newer methods and practices.

For those who may not know what this is, look up Davos in here in CC where there's an historic News Article linked to it.

Sometimes in life we need to go backwards to go forwards.

@Masud4 @Jean118 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Sooo agree with you @Helen427 on the importancce of fresh air and looking to the past for a sustainable future. In fact I feel we need to appoint native peoples to positions of leadership who really understand how to keep our planet viable

Thanks for all that you do dear Helen and for your valuable and ongoing contributions xxxxxxxxx