Increasing pricing on existing booking

Sharyn26
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Increasing pricing on existing booking

Hi - I'd appreciate advice as I'm in a situation due to the current (world?) financial climate - my mortgage and utilities have increased by more than 10% - I can cope with still honouring shorter bookings but I have a 12 month booking commencing in September that is going to cost me money.   My prices were already quite low as I was only setting them to break-even.

At this point I can only see two options: delist and use a different platform; delist and go back to the rental market.  

Has anyone successfully increased prices for an existing booking?  if so - how did you do it?

Any other advice? 

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5
Mark1357
Level 4
Casa de Oro-Mount Helix, CA

Sorry that your having this issue. It seems to me that making a reservation is a contract for price and date as advertised. As a host you  can cancel. You should look up the penalties as policy, then update your price for future guests.Screenshot_20220615-185158.pngScreenshot_20220615-185241.png Whatever you decide to do I'd do it ASAP so the guest has the opportunity to make other plans. 

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

Just an FYI because I think I read this somewhere else. When/if you cancel, check and make sure that Airbnb doesn't block those dates from new reservations. 

Thanks - that's what Im hoping to avoid - in the end i just approached the guest about changing the price and im waiting to hear back

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Sharyn26 If you cancel a booking there is usually a penalty and Airbnb block the dates for future reservations. 

yeah - I'm trying to avoid cancellation but no-one seems to have any actual experience/advice with the situation so that's probably where I'll end up