Induction Stove... Good or Bad?

David7702
Level 2
United States

Induction Stove... Good or Bad?

My STR does not have gas as an option.  The current electric range has to go.  I want to replace it with an induction range as I want to enjoy this property a bit too.  (I've used induction before and I'm sold.)

Do renters have issues with induction even if you provide the correct cookware?

Also, I've read that some folks with a pacemaker shouldn't get near and induction range.

So I figure I could also provide an old school coil electric range and/or induction cooking discs to assist.

What are your thoughts?

21 Replies 21

@Helen427 I hadn't heard that... I have heard of people shattering them through carelessness, but not from using the wrong pans. Interesting!

The main reason for the move towards them in Europe is because they're pushing the use of electricity and trying to get rid of gas, not because the technology is good. No professional chef cooks with an induction range. I definitely wouldn't buy one myself if I had a choice. 

Max144
Level 10
Bongaree, Australia

Coil electric range is best with aluminium foil under coils as so much easier to clean,

My present share house already had induction when i bought it, but forever cleaning to maintain in pristine condition so miss the old school coils.

@Max144  I've never seen coil el. range... until now when you mentioned it and I googled it 🙂

In EU is/was common solid surface el. cooktops

Euro-Burner.BIG

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@David7702   I hate to say it, but guests will do unexpected and stupid things.  As you are located here in the United States, install a basic electric range.  Every high end appliance and amenity I have ever installed has had to be replaced with a basic (but nice) model.  I also recommend mid-range cookware.   

I had a woman call me to tell me that the oven would not get hot.  She was setting the oven timer to 4 minutes, not the temperature to 400 degrees.  Of course it was not hot....sigh.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Alexandra316 @Ute42 

@Dale711  @Angelica-Y-Jorge0 

Many people don't realize that gas appliances are a major source of greenhouse gases, as well as interior air pollution. (The natural gas industry's PR wing has done a great job.) I love cooking with gas but all of my future purchases will be electric.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/10/gas-stoves-are-bad-you-and-environment/616700/

@Lisa723 Thanks for the interesting read. I never thought about indoor air pollution before... that's a really interesting point. Regarding other pollution, that impact depends on how your power is produced I guess. As we move towards green energy, it will definitely be a major benefit. 

@Alexandra316 yes it’s certainly true that climate change requires collective action. Here in the US Pacific Northwest we are fortunate to rely largely on hydro and wind power, and moving further in that direction, so conversion to electricity is a no-brainer.