Infants in my opinion should not be free!

Gilly17
Level 4
Cork, Ireland

Infants in my opinion should not be free!

Hi there

Allowing babies to stay for free, I can understand....it makes sense... BUT ... I find it absurd that infants are free. In my experience the properties require much more cleaning after infants have stayed; Sticky fingers splodged food everywhere not just at the table . Dripped and dropped ice creams .Biscuits and snacks dropped and crummed everywhere. They also use more hot water than adults or older children because they usually have baths.

I cannot be alone in thinking this?

What are your thoughts?

Gilly

45 Replies 45

@Gilly17  I feel it should be the host, and not the listing service, who decides whether anyone in a group gets to stay for free. 

I can't imagine investing in extra safety features just to accommodate more unpaid guests.

Totally @Anonymous! 
The outlay of time and energy for small toddlers & children, way surpasses any preparation time for adults, primary age, pre-teens or teenagers. 

The pack up time is also high. We provide service that allows unique fit for families and this should be able to be recognised in a monetary value.

I’m not worried about a non-mobile baby/infant, but a toddler, pre-schooler to say six years, is moderate to extremely high demand depending on the parentage.

Families wanting to free accommodation for infants and small children, who then throw in lots of infants are problematic. as the floor surface space becomes much more cramped and chaotic, reducing the likelihood of a positive review. 

What’s more, no host wants to feel they are cleaning up after a kids birthday party, FOR FREE!

Gilly17
Level 4
Cork, Ireland

You are so right!

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Couldn't agree more, @Gilly17 !

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Gilly17  Whenever this subject comes up (there are many threads on this already) what I say is that Airbnb needs to change their definition of "infant". An infant is a babe in arms who can't create any mess, aside from in its diaper, or do any damage. Infant should only refer to a baby not yet mobile on their own. Next age category should be toddler- 6, then 6-12.

That is exactly how infants should be categorised 

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

The tradition of accommodating children for free is very old. It dates back to a time when there were no hotels yet, and accommodation been  provided in inns and monasteries.

So ... this will definitely not going to work here.

The practice of charging children under 12-14 is very rare. Where it is available, a reduced price is paid for them ... 10, 25 or maximum 50% of the price of a standard reservation.

After all @Dimitar27, we are commercial ventures, not charities - so a better age and pricing structure would not be unfair.

You are right, but sometimes local practices are stronger than the pure logic. 🙂

Pricing politics are very flexible, when it comes to children.

for example, one copy/paste from a pricelist of a local 4-star hotel:

"* The price of one-bedroom apartments is based on accommodation for three adults!
* The price of apartments with two bedrooms is based on accommodation for four adults!
- Children up to 1.99 years - free
- Adult on extra bed pays 70% of the main bed.
- First child till 12 years old stay free.
- Second child up to 12 years pay 50 % of the main bed per day.
- One adult and two children - for children is 50% of the main bed.
- One adult and one child - a child pays 80% of the main bed."

@Dimitar27  .This may be common practice in Bulgaria but it is not common practice in Ireland.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I think the problem has always been the age ranges. There is a huge difference between a 3-month-old infant and a 20-month-old toddler. A huge difference between a 4-year-old and an 11-year-old.

Yes, I completely agree

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

A scary difference........