Installing smart lock with a camera in the apartment

Sunny198
Level 2
Gold Coast, Australia

Installing smart lock with a camera in the apartment

I've recently started my Airbnb hosting journey and the experience has been overwhelming. Out of 7 bookings, 2 of them smoked inside the apartment, 3 of them left it dirty and the last one today which the last straw. 

I'm assuming they threw a massive party in the apartment. The apartment is a 1 bedroom apartment with a max 2 guests limit. There was 10 sets of dirty utensils, dishes, they also stole premium cleaning products and lied to Airbnb that my apartment isn't clean, I'm assuming for discounts from airbnb, even though they extended their stay from 1 night to 2 nights.

The guest have 3 reviews, and 3 of them are 5 stars. I'm confused why hasn't any other hosts left a bad review yet.

I have decided to install a smart lock with a camera on the main door, to see who's coming in and going. The camera would obviously be outside. My listing is an apartment

So what do you guys think about the smart lock with camera? 

I've found this,

https://lockly.com/products/lockly-vision-doorbell-camera-smart-lock?variant=39355271217265

5 Replies 5
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sunny198 

Sunny you seem to have struck an inordinately bad run of guests and am sorry that this has happened to you. I haven't struck 6 bad guests in over 400!

If I can just make a couple of observations.

1/....Sunny, you are too cheap! $128 pr night right on the Gold Coast strip in Q1, offering Gym, Swimming facilities, on site parking, eateries and bars, is a tariff that is going to attract the dregs of the travelling public. There is no way guests would get that level of accommodation in the hotel environment. The Hilton Surfers paradise accommodation starts at $282 pr night. JW Marriot's Gold Coast....$388, Pelazzo Versaci......$300, Mantra Legends.......$218. Just about anyone who is anyone is charging at least $40 more per night than you are.

Sure there are places as cheap as $52 but Sunny, they don't offer anything. If you are going to price yourself at the bottom of the market you have to be prepared get bargain hunters  who don't give a da*n about you, it's all about them!

I don't offer what you do but, each time I have raised my price I get a better quality of guest....and I am fully booked. The price doesn't put them off.

2/.....Your party issue was obviously a local booking. People who are going to party will not jump state borders to do it although, granted there is not a lot of distance between the Gold Coast and Coolangatta. But don't let to locals, particularly if they are males under 25 years of age.

Sunny, keep your radar on when a booking request, or an IB with a message comes in.

Don't let to locals!

Don't let to hagglers! If someone can't comprehend what you offer from your listing description....you don't need them as a guest....trust me!

I hope you have had all the bad luck you are going to get for a long time but, Sunny, don't just let to anyone! Don't take any notice of their previous star rating. Airbnb guarantees that we all do everything in our power not to upset guests so, unless the guest actually burnt the property to the ground, they are probably going to get good past reviews. Try to analyse what the guest will be like from the enquiry or IB message. Are they passive and complimentary about what you offer, or do they want something out of you!

Cheers.........Rob

Michelle2475
Level 8
Massachusetts, United States

@Robin4 I agree wholeheartedly that hagglers are the worst guest!  One family I worked with the price on ended up staining the rug and leaving all windows and doors open when they left (in addition to a few other things).  Another turned into a stressful situation as well.  Done!  Not doing that ever again!

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Sunny198  

Sorry to hear about your experience.

By installing a smart lock with the camera is a great way to prevent party guests.

Furthermore,

• Airbnb must require hosts to disclose all security cameras and other recording devices in their listings.
  • You may request every guest's full name for reference before you provide the check-In procedure. You can also ask the guest to check in to verify of government ID.
  • The term is necessary to clarify the house rules of unregistered guest is not authorized to enter the premises, fine for smoking in the apartment, and communicate with the guest via Airbnb message during the booking request.
  • Red flag the guest profile, report the party guest to Airbnb, and leave an honest review 
  • Charge an extra guest fee and claim the guest additional cleaning cost through the resolution center
  • Do not afraid to ask the guest.e.g. what bring you to the neighborhood? Work trip or weekend get away? Screen the guest before you approve the booking.

Airbnb help article, links below,

What are Airbnb’s rules about security cameras and other recording devices in listings?

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/887/what-are-airbnbs-rules-about-security-cameras-and-other-reco...

How do I let guests know there’s a security camera or other recording device in my listing?

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2914/how-do-i-let-guests-know-theres-a-security-camera-or-other-...

What is the Resolution Center?

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

Reviews from guests who violate Airbnb party ban will be eligible for removal. You shouldn’t have to trade off between reporting a party and getting dinged with a negative review.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Catherine-s-Host-Update-reviews-party-ban-policy-...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sunny198  Be sure to disclose the existence of cameras in your listing ad. Airbnb will suspend you if you don't.

If you up your minimum night stay to 2-3 nights, you will discourage the partiers.

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

Increase the minimum nights to greater than one night. Also consider increasing the price of your listing. Feel free to set up security camera (outside only) but be sure to disclose this in your listing to avoid trouble with Airbnb.