Insurance for Airbnb in South Africa

Candice197
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Insurance for Airbnb in South Africa

Hello

I have recently started hosting Airbnb Guests in my residence.   It is an 'entire place' offering, so when I have guests, I am not on the property as they occupy the property.

I recently called my insurance company to update them on the change to my residence (both building insurance and household contents insurance).  I expected to pay a higher premium, however, they told me they cannot insure me at all.

They connected me to their commercial division, who then also told me that because I am not living on the property, they will also not be able to insure me.

I have looked at other posts on this forum and found that there may not be many/any options for insurance to Airbnb hosts, yet there are thousands of Airbnb properties in the country - so what is everybody else doing?

Any ideas or recommendations for an insurance company that will cover the situation of my only residential property being let out to Airbnb guests periodically, please let me know.

Thank you

Candice

1 Reply 1
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hi @Candice197 ! Have you received any good recommendations yet?

Airbnb offers AirCover themselves, though some Hosts prefer to (also) get a different insurance. It might help to get more answers from Hosts in South Africa if you ask your question in one of the local Host Clubs as well. You can find them here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Get-Local/ct-p/en_clubs

I hope that helps!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen