Lack of New Reservations

Kathy1086
Level 2
Berkeley Heights, NJ

Lack of New Reservations

Hello all! 
Since Airbnb  has added categories and other recent “improvements” my reservations have dried up. Maybe it’s just the holiday season slow down but I haven’t even had an inquiry in three weeks. Anyone else? 

36 Replies 36

@Susan990 

Have you looked at BDC?

@Sudsrung0  What is BDC?

Susan

@Susan990 

booking.com then you have Trip Advisor 

Thanks but booking.com does not allow me to screen and approve my guests. It is absolutely essential . And looking at their site I do not see where they lay out their fees,charges and taxes. I do not see that I have any control.

All ABB had to do to avoid this calamity was to beta-test Categories and Flexible  on a single town or city or maybe a few and see how it performed  to increase business and occupancy rates. If they had done this they would have cancelled it out as not a fit for Airbnb and moved on.

Signs that it was wrong from the start were right there in the last February 23 Q4 2022 report which reported an 8% reduction on Occupancy- that was just the start of the land-slide- looking forward to Feb 23 Q4 report 2023- there will be nowhere for Airbnb  to hid the calamity from the stockholders.

Susan
Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

Have you looked at glamping . Com or houfy?

You could also try Facebook & Instagram ads. I'm also wondering about the local chamber of commerce/tourism office... Just some ideas since you want to screen your guests.

@Lenore22   How thoughtful of you Lenore with your suggestions. I have looked at glamping.com and my stick built to city code guesthouse does not fit their purpose. fyi- I looked at it because I developed an RV hook-up on my property and explored renting it out through that platform and oh my they do control everything and everybody with their listings.

As for Airbnb they also have added a category for Camping or glamping or RV etc. Airbnb has made it abundantly clear that any portrayal of a property which is NOT true or accurate is a serious violation and such listing will be punished with deletion from the platform.

Example- I cannot categorize my tiny guesthouse as a tiny house.

As for Facebook, funny you should mention that one, my last regular normal reservation guy who booked in November was a construction worker who regularly took the gig jobs offered at our Prineville Data Center building the boxes for Facebook and 5 other entities- it is our Silocon valley for data storage place- and he said to me that since Facebook is collapsing as a company they were already laying of guys like him and also reducing the travel nurse medical staff at the Prineville St. Charles hospital due to the anticipated reduction by hundreds of workers.

A big sector of my customer base was those guys. I asked him why I was not getting the inquiry's from them lately and he enlightened me.

Susan

Great Ideas. We don’t have houfy  in CANADA 😞 

@Shukriya1 

Anybody can join Houfy but that is a direct marketing web site, I joined it about 4 years ago never had a booking off it, 

*[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines

Correction to my above comments: I said 8% reduction to Occupancy and it was I think 8% reduction in Nights Booked.

Imagine the total number of nights booked for all of Airbnb globally- and while the image was of a vastly expanding platform that dominated the market and crowded out any competitors and had just gone public that the data should read 8% reduction nights booked. A simple number.  And it confused the analysis for stock valuations as I read the business news reporting on UTube.   The unknown number I would like to see in the next report, if it is possible, is how much $$$ did Airbnb earn from selling its customer base browsing data? Also like to know how much $$$ did Experiences earn? And would like to know about Occupancy Rates for the year totals-compare last year to this year. Anyone out there know how to discover this stuff ?.

Susan

Please let us know when you find out. An entire Sierra Foothills community is being wiped out by this new development. However, I'm having the same problem with VRBO!

Is there some way we as the host community as a whole can write to Airbnb ? 

@Shukriya1 

Write about what? 

Can you combine 2 rooms and our as 2 person occupancy ? 
I feel you because my calandra has been zero since Nov 1st 😞 

Susie0
Level 10
Oakland, CA

Ditto. First time since the pandemic this has happened even when I drastically lower my prices.

Same here. Since November Zero booking. What is happening 😞