Listed as Super Host but Falsely represents services

Answered!
LeahK0
Level 2
South Africa

Listed as Super Host but Falsely represents services

How does one deal with listed Super Hosts that just misrepresent what that is? 

I've had great stays with various listings and have unfortunately identified a few places that are listed as superhosts but really don't meet the criterion. 

In some cases hosts are willing to rectify the false advertisement. In some, well they have tried to justify what their listing represents using excuses. What are your recommendations on handling these instances?

1 Best Answer
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@LeahK0 superhost is a badge on the picture. No one can just claim to be one. It is possible for a superhost to have an underperforming property in the portfolio but overall it is such a high threshold, I can not see how anyone with a badge can have strike horrible property. 

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@LeahK0 I am not sure which criteria you are speaking of in relationship to ' superhost ' status   Leah? Superhost status is based on clear cut achievements although open to debate as to fairness of the star system in some cases, from a hosts point of view.  The hosts personally would have been awarded " superhost " status because of consistencey not one persons particular opinion . It is not ever a good idea to fall into the mindset of a hypercritical guest with expectations that are simply not advertised, or available at a particular price point. Airbnbs vary a tremendous amount thus giving all guests a choice and violations ocurr for misrepresentation , which most hosts diligently avoid .If you arer a 'host ' then I guess knowing how superhost is actually allocated should be part of your 'due diligence'   all the best .. H

Hi @Helen744 

Thank you for your feedback. 

i am referring to the criteria listed on AirBnB. to which one states: 

"Every 3 months, each host is evaluated on their hospitality. Superhosts meet all of the criteria—they’re highly rated, experienced, reliable, and responsive."

In this particular instance the Host still has the badge based on one listed review / experience stay in 2019. So this was a first for me. i guess at the end of the day a guest should be discerning and instead of giving such a host the benefit of the doubt avoid booking them?

@LeahK0 I suspect they are no longer taking bookings Leah.If they still have the superhost it may also be a new listing but I do not think either of those scenarios are credible.A host does not start off with superhost credits  but must gain them , Re avaluated every three months and they only keep the superhost if they fulfill certain criteria during that hosting period but superhost belongs to the host , not the listing.. H

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@LeahK0 superhost is a badge on the picture. No one can just claim to be one. It is possible for a superhost to have an underperforming property in the portfolio but overall it is such a high threshold, I can not see how anyone with a badge can have strike horrible property. 

Hi @Inna22 

Thank you so much for your response. This makes so much sense to me. Its bizarre that this listing exists. Nonetheless, I guess i came to seek guidance from the community because I wasn't sure how to address the situation. I have flagged it directly with AirBnB so hopefully no one else has the same situation with the specific listing. 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@LeahK0  It's not up to you to decide who is or isn't a SuperHost, or if they meet the criteria. That status is awarded by AirBnB, for reaching certain thresholds in ratings/reviews, good response times to inquiries, a certain number of bookings per year, etc. 

The tool available to you is your review- leave an accurate but fair review. If the host is truly unworthy of SuperHost status, it will catch up with them. 

SuperHost status has nothing to do with if the property is high end or not. If the property is accurately represented and all that is promised is functional, then the host has done his or her job. 

Hi @Kia272

Definately not up to me. read it all off the AirBnB criterion:

What does a Superhost provide?

Being an Airbnb Superhost is about providing outstanding hospitality, which means being highly-rated, experienced, reliable, and responsive. And while each Superhost has their own unique style, they’ve earned their status by meeting, and often exceeding, guest expectations.

Every 3 months, each host is evaluated on their hospitality. Superhosts meet all of the criteria—they’re highly rated, experienced, reliable, and responsive.

4.8+ overall rating

Every Superhost has a track record of highly rated stays, which means you can expect outstanding hospitality.

10+ stays

Superhosts have completed at least 10 stays in the past year or 100 nights over at least 3 completed stays. Your guests can feel confident staying with an experienced host.

<1% cancellation rate

Superhosts cancel less than 1% of the time, not including extenuating circumstances. This means 0 cancellations for hosts with fewer than 100 reservations in a year. Rare cancellations mean peace of mind for guests.

90% response rate

Superhosts respond to 90% of new messages within 24 hours. When guests ask you questions, they know that a quick response is only a message away.