Listing Title - SEO - Any experts?

Answered!
Stephanie1933
Level 10
Christchurch, New Zealand

Listing Title - SEO - Any experts?

Hi lovely hosts,

Any listing title experts? I would love an opinion on my listing title?

5 Star, Style, Comfort, Immaculate by Airport & CBD

Wanting to include airport as we live close to the airport and it is a keywords for SEO.

Also, check out my listing and any feedback is appreciated 🙂

Thank

1 Best Answer

@Stephanie1933 This is a rare occasion in which every single word of a listing's title is precisely wrong for it. 

1) "5 [star]" - you have an excellent 4.98 rating for now, which is great, but it's not 5 stars and it probably never will be again because there's nothing even the best host in the world can do to prevent a guest from fussing over minor things. Delete that monstrosity and never think about it again.

2) "Style" - Well I mean, technically all content also has form, so your listing has a style. It looks like a tastefully decorated, comfortable and well-lit space. But I don't think your target guests go to Fashion Weeks - style is not one of their main priorities in choosing a listing.

3) "Comfort" - yes, I can get behind this one. The home is thoughtfully appointed with a lot of comfortable features. But when the photos already convey that, it should be redundant in the title. 

4) "Immaculate" - you're basically begging for trouble. Do you really want the kind of guests who would freak out and demand a refund if they spotted a speck of dust? There's not much advantage to overselling your cleaning practices, especially in a time when it's so easy for guests to weaponize them for free stays. Take pride in your high cleaning standards, but don't oversell them.

5) "By Airport & CBD."  OK, I've spent a fair bit of time in Christchurch but it was pretty long ago, and obviously you know your lovely hometown better than I do. From an outsider's perspective, you're valuably close to the airport, but slightly suboptimal for guests who want the most convenient pedestrian access to the CBD. Your location is still great, but maybe I'd downplay the proximity to the city center just a tiny bit.

You've already christened this house with the name Sevenoaks, and in this case I think that  suits your listing better than the menagerie of luxury buzzwords. I'm not a listing title expert, but I think if you concocted a better version of something like "Sevenoaks: Family-Friendly Hideaway near CHC Airport," it would fit your brand well and attract the best-fitting guests while also setting realistic expectations. The vast majority of guests completely forget the listing titles, so it's not super important to have a perfect one, but you want to make sure your parameters match up well to the types of guests you want to serve.

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Stephanie1933 

Listing title has no effect on search in Airbnb search system, only if external search engines are allowed to index your listing (a setting in your account)

Stephanie1933
Level 10

@Emiel1 thanks for your feedback. Do you know how some listings are at the top of the search then? If my listing has more 5 star ratings etc? How do you get your listing to the top then? Thanks!

If you need someone to manage your listing SEO, let me know. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Lots of adjectives but no noun. Was that on purpose, @Stephanie1933? And I’m not sure we as hosts get to choose how many ‘stars’ we’re worthy of. Basil Fawlty rated his establishment, few others did 🤣

Stephanie1933
Level 10

@Gordon0 thanks for your reply... I am pretty sure Airport is a noun? Also, my house has been rated 5 star from many guests so I take that as we are 5 star 😉 

@Stephanie1933  Oh dear, you've ingested the Kool-Aid. Spit it out if you still can. 

Stephanie1933
Level 10

@Anonymous hahaha! Will do 😉

Airport is a noun, @Stephanie1933, but it isn’t what you are offering.

PS. If you can, lose the ampersands. They’re great for fish & chips but, like random capitalisation, don’t make for a nice read.

@Stephanie1933 This is a rare occasion in which every single word of a listing's title is precisely wrong for it. 

1) "5 [star]" - you have an excellent 4.98 rating for now, which is great, but it's not 5 stars and it probably never will be again because there's nothing even the best host in the world can do to prevent a guest from fussing over minor things. Delete that monstrosity and never think about it again.

2) "Style" - Well I mean, technically all content also has form, so your listing has a style. It looks like a tastefully decorated, comfortable and well-lit space. But I don't think your target guests go to Fashion Weeks - style is not one of their main priorities in choosing a listing.

3) "Comfort" - yes, I can get behind this one. The home is thoughtfully appointed with a lot of comfortable features. But when the photos already convey that, it should be redundant in the title. 

4) "Immaculate" - you're basically begging for trouble. Do you really want the kind of guests who would freak out and demand a refund if they spotted a speck of dust? There's not much advantage to overselling your cleaning practices, especially in a time when it's so easy for guests to weaponize them for free stays. Take pride in your high cleaning standards, but don't oversell them.

5) "By Airport & CBD."  OK, I've spent a fair bit of time in Christchurch but it was pretty long ago, and obviously you know your lovely hometown better than I do. From an outsider's perspective, you're valuably close to the airport, but slightly suboptimal for guests who want the most convenient pedestrian access to the CBD. Your location is still great, but maybe I'd downplay the proximity to the city center just a tiny bit.

You've already christened this house with the name Sevenoaks, and in this case I think that  suits your listing better than the menagerie of luxury buzzwords. I'm not a listing title expert, but I think if you concocted a better version of something like "Sevenoaks: Family-Friendly Hideaway near CHC Airport," it would fit your brand well and attract the best-fitting guests while also setting realistic expectations. The vast majority of guests completely forget the listing titles, so it's not super important to have a perfect one, but you want to make sure your parameters match up well to the types of guests you want to serve.

Stephanie1933
Level 10

@Anonymous thank you so much. I appreciate your honesty and helpful feedback. Sevenoaks is the name of the street and I did have it in the title originally. So, I will take on your ideas and change the title. Yes, we are further from the CBD so will amend that too. Thanks again.

Sevenoaks: A Family-Friendly Retreat Near the Airport

We are pleased to introduce Sevenoaks Airbnb as your Christchurch home away from home. It is located between the airport and the city centre.

Relax in comfort and style! It is totally fenced, with electric gates, double windows, and has been nicely remodelled. The Springfree Trampoline is an added bonus. Sevenoaks is a truly "Family Friendly" community. Also suitable for groups or business persons.

Essentials are given, and self-check-in is available for a worry-free stay.

There will be no events, parties, or gatherings unless prior arrangements have been made.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

Go on to Youtube and type in "How does airbnb seo work" loads of info there