Long term air b&b

Long term air b&b

Hi everyone, we are new to air b&b just hosting our first guest for a long period of 3 months. They are thinking about possibly renting for extra time, what is the maximum allowed please? 
also, this is a second property and struggling to find an insurance company that can cover us fully as this is not our main residence. 

Could you please advise, we are based in Colchester ñ, Essex! Thank you 

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Be careful if the guest doesn't have a permanent home to move onto they could claim tenancy rights without you having done any tenancy checks @Viviana456 

Is this property registered as a holiday let on business rates? If you accept longer let's this won't be valid. 

I think they're about eight companies offering home insurance for short term lets in the UK.

Personally I'd only take longer let's for whole listings as an assured short hold tenancy with all the proper tenancy checks.

Hi Helen, thank you ever so much for your prompt response. I am so grateful. 
This is the first time we have rented out our second home through air b&b (it was for sale for a year and we couldn’t sell). They are foreign tenants looking to study in the Uk and have booked for 3 months. No, i haven’t registered the property for business rates, although the property is on the company name. Hope I make sense .

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

So they are on a student visa @Viviana456 ?

I wouldn't do this on Airbnb.