Loophole to fight short term rental law

Chad-Jason0
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Loophole to fight short term rental law

Hello,

I am currently fighting Sarasota county on short term rental laws.  Siesta key is a vacation destination and they are only allowing 30 days rentals at this point.  Wouldn’t it be not really a rental if I charged basically nothing for the rental and I only charged the cleaning fee?  $10 is the min you can charge for a night but that would go towards a gift card. Any thoughts? 

83 Replies 83

@Steve2715 they block out personal information. Go to my profile here on airbnb. "Under Interests and knowledge: Ask me about" copy the hashtag then paste that in google without the # symbol. My info should pull right up. I'm with Coldwell Banker if that helps. Last name is McDonald if that doesn't work. You can also find me on fb Davida McDonald Realtor

text me davida,*sensitive information hidden*

@Davida36 

Hello I would like to get in touch with you for questions regarding a new home purchase in Sarasota

@Alex7298  they block out personal information. Go to my profile here on airbnb. "Under Interests and knowledge: Ask me about" copy the hashtag then paste that in google without the # symbol. My info should pull right up. I'm with Coldwell Banker if that helps. Last name is McDonald if that doesn't work. 

Hi Davida,

im interested in more info on *For a list of up to date properties in City or County Limits that DO allow short-term rentals (less than 30 days). Not sure how to get in direct contact with you.

thanks,

Lygia

interested in buyer a STR in sarasota. What is the difference in the laws of the county versus the city

Hi Meghan. I’m a Realtor here in Sarasota ( I see you’re a Realtor as well). Feel free to contact me if you need assistance. Airbnb won’t allow my info to be posted, so please search Davida McDonald Sarasota Realtor on Google to find my info. The rental rules here are strict, and extremely tedious. I’m happy to help if you need a Realtor that knows the rules in and out. 

I would suggest host have some common sense rules for their rentals. Next to me is a air bnb rental...it's been HELL  the last month with different party's every weekend!! If you live and work in Sarasota it's no fun living next to these rentals.  Just another side to this issue

Hello @Davida36  !

Witaj Davida !

Byłbym bardzo wdzięczny, czy mógłbyś do mnie zadzwonić? Mam problem.

Otrzymałem zły list od Community Management. Jestem Super gospodarzem na Airbnb, piszą, że zapłacę grzywnę... Nie wiem co robić? Może dasz mi jakąś radę.

dziękuję, Mirella Molders

powiedzieć. **

[Translation added by Community Manager]

I would be very grateful if you could call me? I have a problem.

I received an angry letter from Community Management. I'm a great host on Airbnb, they say I'll pay a fine... I don't know what to do? Maybe you can give me some advice.

Thank you, Mirella Molders

to say. **

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Rachel1494
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Attn FL residents- the state is now taking up the issue of short term rentals.  Check out Florida senate bill SB1128 and the same bill in the Florida house HB1011.  Call your representatives to voice your opinion.

Hi, Rachel, thanks for the information. It seems to me that the bill will require license to operate vacation home, which will offer protection against draconian local ordinance against short term rentals like AirBnB. It might be a worthy trade of the price is not too high. 

Is this the correct way to look at this?

Any updates? I don’t want to make any offers on investment homes until I’m able to do short term vacation rentals. Looking in Sarasota, Bradenton or Venice. Thanks

Hi Tracy! Contact me and I’ll help you.  I’m a Realtor in the Sarasota, Bradenton and Venice area. Each location has different rental rules. *sensitive information hidden*

Linda2880
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

@Jo512 @Rachel 1494 

Anyone in Sarasota Florida interested in fighting for our rights to rent a room in our home?

I'm on Longboat Key and owned for over qq years now the code enforcement mailed me a notice. How can they enforce this if its not sent certified?? My mail is often messed up, what if I hadn't received this??

Any updates on the bill??