Lost Superhost status when I sold my property

Answered!
Basil53
Level 2
Durango, CO

Lost Superhost status when I sold my property

Hi everyone,

I’ve been a near impeccable Superhost with Airbnb for over 3 years, 4.92 rating with close to 70 reviews. I sold my last property December of 2021 in search of a large home on acreage to take my business to the next level and make it a high earning property.  I purchased a home in the Fall of 2022 and extensively renovated it and launched it January 1st. In the year interim where I took time off without a property, I snoozed my listing as advised until I was able to launch this new property. During that time I lost my SH status. I thought, no big deal, I’ll earn it back quickly. The bookings were slow due to this being a new property with no reviews and I also suspected the loss of SH status also placed my property way down the list of properties in my area.  I did my best, gained 3  four night bookings the last quarter and had 5 star reviews. I met 4/5 criteria perfectly but was NOT awarded SH status due to the lack of bookings. This totally leaves me defeated.  I know all new hosts have to earn that badge, but I feel I never should have lost it since I had no property to list during the interim. I did everything they advised and getting burned. Even tried speaking to case managers to hopefully elevate this and get a qualified audience but just get emailed useless form letters. Can anyone offer any advice?  I’ve slashed my nightly price considerably and have no cleaning fee and still no bookings.

Thanks all!

Basil

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Basil53 You should get Superhost status back next quarter assuming you have some bookings. Also do you have Instant Book enabled? This and a more flexible cancellation policy might get you up the rankings but not without risk.

You need to compare your pricing with others as I don't know the area at all. Be careful to compare like with like. The days of high pricing that existed last year/the year before are gone I am afraid -- Just don't go too low as that might put people off.

Finally I don't know when your high season is - Presumably the skiing season is almost over? Do you have a Summer high season as well?

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Basil53 

I've replied to another of your posts with a recommendation of asking for a listing critique, but I also thought I'd tag @Robin4@Mike-And-Jane0, and @Pat271 here just in case they had any other advice for you.  These are some of our most knowledgeable Hosts, and I hope they've got some words of wisdom for you!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thanks Jenny!  

I will do that, and I'm awaiting the snow to melt here as I know summer pics will really help.  

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Basil53 You should get Superhost status back next quarter assuming you have some bookings. Also do you have Instant Book enabled? This and a more flexible cancellation policy might get you up the rankings but not without risk.

You need to compare your pricing with others as I don't know the area at all. Be careful to compare like with like. The days of high pricing that existed last year/the year before are gone I am afraid -- Just don't go too low as that might put people off.

Finally I don't know when your high season is - Presumably the skiing season is almost over? Do you have a Summer high season as well?

Hi Mike & Jane,

Yes, always had instant book and the most forgiving flexible cancellation there is as we rarely had cancellations and if we did it was usually rebooked in minutes.  I compared my pricing well in advance of acquiring the property and constantly assess the competitions pricing as a general practice.  High season is late December to March for ski season and late May - September for our amazing summers.  Really shocked we only booked 3 four night stays from January to mid March for ski season as the house is only 5 mi south of a major ski resort.  My previous property was a 3bd condo which was nice, always booked, but I thought guests would like a very private estate on acreage backing the national forest vs sharing walls, amenities, etc with people.  I only have high pricing for December, March and July, yet still quite a bit less than competitors and those months are doing well.  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Basil53 

Hi Basil, if I can make a couple of observations.

1/......Superhost status is awarded to the host, not the property. If you purchase a new property your hosting history will follow you from the old property to the new one but, Superhost status has to meet certain criteria in order to be retained. 

2/......Superhost status is reviewed 4 times a year for the 12 months preceding 31st March, 30th June, 30th September, 31st December.

We are currently in the assessment period 1st July 2022- 30th June 2023 and whether you will regain your Superhost status will depend on you hosting either 10 stays or 100 nights over 3 stays for this current assessment period!

It is probable that in the last assessment period, 1st April 2022- 31st March 2023 you did not meet the minimum requirement of those 10 stays or 100 nights to retain your Superhost status.

The fact that you lost your Superhost status is in no way a reflection on the quality of you as a host Basil......it simple means you failed to meet the required criteria for the last assessment period.

You can keep a track of your progress from quarter to quarter by .....

Log on, and from the 'Manage Your Listing' page click on 'Insights'.

Next, from the options at the top of the page click on Superhost and your previous years history progress will be revealed as per this screenshot........

Superhost status 1st April,31st March 2023.png

Don't be too disheartened Basil, as I said, the fact that you have lost your Superhost is not a reflection on you as a host and once attained it is not an automatic right forever.....you have to keep meeting the required criteria each quarterly assessment!

Another observation, although your current property may only have 3 reviews , on your profile will be a notation....."This host has 70 other reviews, read all reviews"

Hope this helps you.......Good luck Basil.

Cheers.......Rob

Thanks Rob,

Appreciate the feedback.  I guess my question was when I sold my last property and had a year of zero activity due to not having a place to rent, the activity clock kept ticking.  I wish ABB had a feature where you can "pause" the metrics to restart when we acquire a new property and resume stays.  I thought I did that correctly and the metrics would pause as I deactivated the listing, but guess not.  Hopefully I'll regain the SH after some summer stays.  

Thanks again!

Basil