Need HELP - Airbnb refusing to refund and cannot contact anyone

Shelly188
Level 1
New York, NY

Need HELP - Airbnb refusing to refund and cannot contact anyone

Hi all,

I NEED HELP WITH AIRBNB. They have been BEYOND impossible to deal with and I actually have no idea how to connect with someone because they give a FAKE phone number so you cannot speak to a person. I booked a trip and then the global pandemic hit and I had to cancel the reservation. The host messaged me that she was happy to refund me the full amount because of the situation. I then tried to relay that to Airbnb and it is actually impossible to talk to someone. Airbnb refuses to refund me, despite the host saying that she would refund me for over 5 months. I have emailed, called and I do not know where else to turn for help. If anyone knows how to talk to an actual person at Airbnb, Please let me know!! They are such a frustrating and horrible company. I really appreciate any support.

Thank you!

Shelly

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Shelly188 

You wrote: "she would refund me for over 5 months". Please note a "long term reservation" means payings/payouts are in done in installments. So at time of booking you pay only the first installment. When cancelling the "long term stay cancellation policy" will calculate the refund, which means the first 30 nights are not refunded (useally the first installment if cancelled before check-in date).

If agreed with the host, the host can refund first installment via "resolution centre", without intervention from Airbnb

If you cancelled because of "extenuating circumstances related to COVID", a possible full refund (including Airbnb Service fee) depends on certain factors, like time of booking was before 14 March.?

To contact Airbnb:

Contact Airbnb - Community Guide [Updated]

Best regards,

Emiel

I have the same or similar problem.  I have been going back and forth with text messages from various people at Airbnb but unable to speak with anyone.

I really do not understand how refunds work.  I cancelled my reservation due to COVID travel restrictions.  Although, Airbnb says that they issued a refund, I never received it because the credit card I used for the reservation was closed and I do not have another account with that bank.  The bank rejected the credit, and so Aribnb has pocket it instead of refunding my credit card on file.

Does the host refund the money or Airbnb?

How does this work?  It has been frustrating not to be able to go to the resolution center as I do not currently have a reservation.  I cannot speak to anyone on the phone because I do not have a reservation... etc.  Frustrated with  Airbnb policy!!

@Judit713 You say the credit card you booked your stay with was 'closed' at the time Airbnb refunded to it. The credit naturally bounced back as it had nowhere else to go. That was not a problem Airbnb created. Now you are stuck in the never ending customer service spin cycle until Airbnb gets their covid related staff shortage issue sorted out (if they ever do). You will just have to be persistent and keep trying. 

Hosts do not get paid for a stay until 24 hours post check in, FYI.

@Emiel1  I'm pretty sure you misunderstood @Shelly188's post. I think she's saying she has been waiting for this refund for 5 months, not that the booking was a long-term 5 month booking.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Shelly188  As you've explained it, your situation is not super clear. 

If no refund is paid back to you, the host receives the payout for your stay shortly after the original check in date arrives. They would just be able to refund you themselves at that point. If it's been 5 months, perhaps that date is close, or has passed?  *I should clarify, they won’t be able to refund you the service fee Airbnb charges you. You’d have to chase AIrbnb for that.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Shelly188  You say the host was happy to refund you, but did she?  As @Colleen253 asked, when is or was the trip?  Some hosts wait to give the refund until they get the money, some do it before the trip - but it's the host who generates the refund.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Shelly188 

Has it occurred to Guests that Airbnb may not have the money to pay you back?

and there hoping you just give up in frustration...