Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Need Help!!

Answered!
Nicole2117
Level 1
Charlotte, NC

Need Help!!

I'm a new host and need some help.  In April a guest cancelled due to COVID.  She'd intended to stay 6+ weeks and after lengthy construction the $3,356 cancellation really hurt.  Airbnb tried to keep her money because of the separate long term stay policy that I didn't even know existed.  I begged them to do the right thing (it's a pandemic after all) and eventually they agreed and refunded.  I never received or expected a penny. 

Last week a guest checked in and I didn't receive payment.  While trying to learn why I noticed a $3,356 charge on my payout screen.  The intended check in date for the 6-week stay had arrived and Airbnb charged me for what she would've paid me to rent my home.  Now they're apparently withholding payment from me until the $3,356 is captured.  Airbnb is essentially hosting folks at my home, collecting 100% of the rental rate, and providing me no compensation. They agree that they're withholding payment due to the 6 week cancellation but can't seem to explain why, commit or put me in touch with anyone to fix it.  

I've sent 5 messages, called 4 times, spent multiple hours on hold and have been hung up on twice after 45+ minutes holding each. I was promised resolution yesterday after nearly an additional hour on hold and speaking to another case manager.  No resolution has occurred.  I'm hoping someone can provide me an alternate phone number or path for resolution.  I don't want to ruin anyone's plans but I have bills too and can't go on lining Airbnb's pockets while they refuse to compensate me for guests using my home.  This is the worst customer service I've ever experienced and I'll have no choice but to quit the platform. Thanks in advance for any ideas. @Airbnb

Top Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Nicole2117 Some hosts recommend a Twitter approach to Airbnb - I can't say I even know how to Tweet so that may not be open to you either. Given the clear error made by Airbnb I am sure you will get this put right soon - just stay polite with the agents and you will get there eventually. Airbnb have laid off 1900 people so the support is patchy at present.

Good luck

View Top Answer in original post

1 Reply 1
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Nicole2117 Some hosts recommend a Twitter approach to Airbnb - I can't say I even know how to Tweet so that may not be open to you either. Given the clear error made by Airbnb I am sure you will get this put right soon - just stay polite with the agents and you will get there eventually. Airbnb have laid off 1900 people so the support is patchy at present.

Good luck