Need a referral for an attorney in West Virginia

Need a referral for an attorney in West Virginia

Hello Fellow Hosts. 

We are having some trouble with neighbors who believe our occasional hosting is in violation of our HOA (we disagree). We are seeking a referral for an attorney who, ideally, has litigated on short-term rental issues in the past. We are in Hardy County, but are open to attorneys elsewhere in the state. 

Thanks!

8 Replies 8
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Jonathan-and-Cynthia0 before contracting with an attorney, I would check to see what the process is for resolving disputes with the HOA. Many times, arbitration is required, and an individual is not permitted to bring an individual litigation against the board but has to go through some sort of private resolution.  If its a neighbor complaining about you (and its unclear from your listing how you would be subject to an HOA as it looks like an isolated cabin...) I am sure there is a process in your bylaws that outlines what happens in the case of such complaints. Are you beyond that point?

Thanks for the response, @Laura2592 . Our property is a part of a non-functional HOA which has governing covenants. Anyone can attempt to enforce the covenants individually on another resident. This neighbor has filed a complaint with the courts because he believes we are in violation of one of the covenants by occasionally renting our property. We need a referral for an attorney, ideally someone with experience litigating short-term rental issues. Thanks in advance for any referrals the community might have. 

Hi Jonathan. Came across your post here as I am seeking the same. Did you ever find a WV based attorney?

Thanks.
Matt

Hi @Matt5931 . Yes, we did. He's based here in Hardy County. If you can DM me, I can give you a referral. ~Jonathan

Patrick3342
Level 1
Raleigh, NC

@Jonathan-and-Cynthia0 Can you share with me who you used? I need a WV HOA atty

TY

Patrick Bowlin

Hi @Patrick3342 . We have used Jonathan and Cynthia's attorney successfully. We will DM you his contact info. 

Actually, there's no DM function here. @Patrick3342 - could you reach out to us through our listing here: https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/218748230

We'll share his name there.

Hi @Buckeye-Adventures0 @Patrick3342 , I'm Bhumika, a Community manager for this forum. I've looked into it and added direct message feature to Patrick's profile, so now it would be possible for you to send more information to Patrick by visiting the Community Center profile and clicking on the "send message" button. Hope it helps! 🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines