Need recommendation on insurance company in California

Answered!
Danny627
Level 5
San Jose, CA

Need recommendation on insurance company in California

We're hosting our first guest in about 50 days, our current insurance Progressive does not offer it. Can someone recommend a reliable company to switch to or add STR insurance. 

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Danny627 Find an independent insurance agent and have them research this for you.  It is very important that you have the insurance in place before you even accept guests.  AirCover is not going to protect you, and many insurance companies will gladly drop you the minute they find you running an AirBnB.

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Danny627 Find an independent insurance agent and have them research this for you.  It is very important that you have the insurance in place before you even accept guests.  AirCover is not going to protect you, and many insurance companies will gladly drop you the minute they find you running an AirBnB.

I use a broker in Illinois who handles all states.  He has numerous companies that he writes with.  His name is Sean.  708 361 9430.

Ana2038
Level 10
Santa Ana, CA

@Danny627 , we have USAA on our properties (primary and secondary). USAA also insures our Airbnb unit under our primary residence policy (on same lot as primary) at no extra cost. They are headquartered in Texas; we are located in California. Great customer service!!!

****USAA insurance is restricted to former/current military members.****

You can also do as @Lorna170 , suggested and use an independent insurance agent to find you a suitable insurance provider, if you do not fit USAA qualifying requirements.

Best…

Thank you, I don't qualify for USAA.

Would it be something specific for short term rental insurance or is it the same as "renter's insurance?

@Danny627  It is different from renter's insurance, which is what a long term renter would purchase to protect their belongings in a rental property.

You want to get specific short term rental property insurance.

@Danny627 

You have to use a broker but I am about to sign with Safeco because they actually have riders specifically  mention Airbnb rentals in description.

No more in California. I just tried  6/22/24

Ryanne84
Level 2
Marysville, CA

I have one STR in Northern California and have had great luck with Farmers - everyone else was very difficult to deal with. in addition we need CalFair Wildfire insurance. Happy to pass on my brokers iffo if you'd lile. 

Hi @Ryanne84 would you mind sharing your broker's info? I have a MTR in Southern California and we are looking for STR liability insurance and will be adding CalFair Wildfire insurance because we haven't been able to find any other company willing to insure for fire in CA.

Danny627
Level 5
San Jose, CA

In case anyone need it, I went through Steadily and they offered us a decent STR rate the carrier we have is American Mondern Property & Casualty Insurance. 

I don't know if they're good or bad and hope to have to never find out.