New York City Short Term Rentals for 1 and 2 family homes

Answered!
Silvia247
Level 3
New York, NY

New York City Short Term Rentals for 1 and 2 family homes

Hi,

Does anyone know why these type of dwellings are being targeted by the city?

What is going to happen after registering with the city? 
Do we have to remove our listing? Do we have to cancel our reservations?

THIS IS DEVASTATING.  I DEPEND ON THIS SUPPLEMENTAL INCOME TO PAY MY MORTGAGE. 
I am a retired teacher and STRs is the best way for me to protect my investment. 
Aside from writing comments, participating in the hearings and send emails to the mayor, what else can we do? 
I have written to different officials and received zero replies. 

1 Best Answer
Sheldon53
Level 2
New York, NY

Hello,

I live in New York .  I own a co-op and my board elected to put my building on the no short-term rental listings.  It means I will not be able to register or do Airbnb.  I work currently but the e tea money really helped.  If you have any updates on this or how we can fight this interference e, that would be great. 

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Silvia247 I am not sure about your area Silvia but its probably worth not worrying too much about it but stay in the loop and in touch with 'city hall; as it were or your local council . It allows local governance, to maybe be able to know who owns a property more quickly in case of an emergency so not all bad,but any fees or charges or regulations on numbers of guests may be where they attempt to control the situation or from other comments, maybe restrictions to less than 28 days... H

You can be fined thousands of dollars for not complying. 

Everyone knows that. Txs

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry what do you mean by targeting ? @Silvia247 

New York City has had some STR restrictions for a number of years but I understand are updating these. I thought you couldn't do STR for whole listings in NYC but I can see that's what you have so it looks like I'm incorrect.

Is there not information on the NYC website about the proposals?

I understand that restrictions governing STRs have been in place for a while in NYC. However, these new regulations  preventing hosts who own 1 and 2 family homes  to host for less than 30 days is a new legislation that went through in January of 2022. This year seems the regulations are going to be implemented stating that one of the conditions s is that the guests no more than 2 must stay in the same unit as the host and the host must be present at all times. 

There are no specifications as being present at all times you cannot be present at all times and they have not describe a present means so you can be there to say hello or work remotely for an hour being present means close by or in the unit for people work, so that makes no sense. You can work around this. This is something between you and the people staying. I believe you need to be smarter and work around there requirements. 

Of course, everything should be worked  out with the guests. But, being present is not what concerns me the most. The issue here is the length of the stays that can’t be less than 30 days. I don’t think it’s the usual that tourists come to stay for a month. Now, the approach is to be able to attract a different kind of guests. But I’m hopeful that the latest actions taken by Airbnb suing the city would be render positive results in our favor. 

Why does the Host have to live in the same apartment as the guests?. What does that have to do with safety?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Silvia247 

I just wanted to suggest joining a Local Host Club if you'd like to discuss this with more people in your local area.  You can head here to find a group.  Apologies if you've done this already!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Dak84
Level 2
New York, NY

@Silvia247 I am in the same boat. And it makes no sense what the city is doing. Do have any new updates ? I dont know what to or expect at this point. 

Hi there,

sorry it took all this time to reply. Not sure what to expect anymore. I registered when the application opened and I believe I’ll get an answer in the current month. Airbnb is already asking for a registration number. Other than that it’s really a mystery. 

Hi @Silvia247 I rent a room in my apartment for short stays, which now also has to be registered with the city. Did you register and if so how was the process? How long did it take? I haven't started the process yet.  Thanks Leanne

Hi Leanne,

I applied back in April and received an email saying that denial was pending upon two correctable reasons. I got really upset because I thought the reasons weren’t clear since I have an entire apartment on my first floor listed on Airbnb. I was told I couldn’t rent an entire place. After the hearing and failure to obtain an injunction, I contacted OSE to ask if by updating my listing my application could be reconsidered. So I changed my listing to a room in a shared home. I have not heard from them since August 4th. OSE is understaffed and registrations are neither approved or denied. Im not sure if this slow process could affect the Sept. 5th deadline. 

Sheldon53
Level 2
New York, NY

Hello,

I live in New York .  I own a co-op and my board elected to put my building on the no short-term rental listings.  It means I will not be able to register or do Airbnb.  I work currently but the e tea money really helped.  If you have any updates on this or how we can fight this interference e, that would be great.