New host trying to figure out how to have AirBnB collect my local tourist tax

Lori2581
Level 1
United States

New host trying to figure out how to have AirBnB collect my local tourist tax

Hello community!

I recently purchased a private beach home in Roatan, Honduras where the tourist tax is 19%.  When I set up the property I entered the tax rate in the set up but when my first visitors reserved their stay it didn't get added into their total, only the housekeeping and service charge were added.  I searched all of the FAQ's on this subject and most were geared toward the taxes I have to pay on my personal income tax return.  It does say that AirBnB automatically collects tax for properties in France but really no other commentary on the subject in the articles.

Can someone lend this old gal a hand? 

Thank you so much!

Lori

5 Replies 5
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Lori2581 

We have managed to set it up. But I can't remember exactly how. It's something under "local taxes" Or something like that. You'll likely need to log in from your desktop computer, I don't think it's available in the mobile app. 

Airbnb calls it "property use taxes". So far, it's worked like a charm. They add it to the price and collect it at booking time. They don't charge commission on it. It's listed as "Pass through". 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

If you already looked up what areas in the world Air BNB collects taxes and did not see your country, then Air BNB is not collecting the tax to remit to your area.  Therefore, you collect it yourself and find the instructions for how you as an individual business owner submits your tax.  Some hosts include the tax in the rate, as I do, just to reduce the hassle for the guest and myself.  Others, bill separately for the tax using the money request option on the reservation.  Either way, it is helpful for the host to list the fact of the tax in the listing so the guest is aware.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Linda108 @Lori2581 

Ok I looked it up. 

Go to your hosting portal on your desktop computer. Not available on app. 

Click on your listing. Edit

Click on the "pricing and availability" tab

Scroll down to "Taxes". Click on " Edit".

Click on "add a tax"

Here you can set the tax rate and how it's applied to the booking - per person, per night, percentage of booking, etc. However your tourist tax system is arranged. 

The only problem with it is that you can't set a different rate on a seasonal basis. In Mallorca, we have two different tourist tax rates for summer and winter, so it doesn't work correctly for that, but we have two different listings, one for summer, one for winter, so I've adjusted it on each listing accordingly. 

In any case, once you've set it up, it gets collected at booking time, and is not charged commission. It shows up on your booking statement as "property use taxes". In your payout summary, it is listed as "Pass through".

It's been very helpful. It was always a problem collecting it manually. Some guests weren't aware of it (or pretended not to have seen that part) and can get a bit snarky about it. This solves that problem. 

I hope that helps. 

Wow! Thanks so much! Hopefully I see those options when I get on my desktop (out and about at the moment). I feel like I find step by step instructions in the FAQ  articles and then go to do the steps and don’t have the options they list. 

Fingers crossed!!

Hi Lori.  This is a question for you, if you don't mind?  Are you setting up the Airbnb from the States or from Honduras?  Will your contact be to a U.S. email?  Reason I ask is that we are looking at how to manage our rental in Roatan.  Thx for any insight...