No bookings

Debbie-And-Barry1
Level 2
Long Marton, United Kingdom

No bookings

Hello out there, i wanted to ask if anyone is having problems with booking. I have been a super host for the past several years. We have always been busy great reviews, lovely messages in our guest book, this year i have only had 2 bookings, i dont understand why that would be. Can anyone help or is anyone having the same problem. Debbie uk

12 Replies 12
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Debbie-And-Barry1 After a bumper year last year our bookings are slow. Perhaps inflation is biting and people just can't afford to travel with the prices as they are for fuel (and also I suspect for accommodation).

Yes, the bookings have dwindled to 10% of what they used to be.... funny thing is that hotels are almost at full capacity and the streets are full of tourists and people.... but AirBnB is somehow killing the capacity of hosts making money and hosting! I wonder if this is by design? First was registering with the city, then restricting the number of days you host, then now bookings are no longer coming through.... crazy

Lila
Debbie-And-Barry1
Level 2
Long Marton, United Kingdom

Hello, im very busy with booking . Com, but not anything with Airbnb, thought it was strange. 

Do you do long term or short term?

Lila
Lila5
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Yes, the bookings have dwindled to 10% of what they used to be.... funny thing is that hotels are almost at full capacity and the streets are full of tourists and people.... but AirBnB is somehow killing the capacity of hosts making money and hosting! I wonder if this is by design? First was registering with the city, then restricting the number of days you host, then now bookings are no longer coming through.... crazy

Lila
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

I suspect there are several things going on here.  After the last two years of restricted and difficult travel abroad people are now making plans to try and get back to normal with more adventurous holiday destinations.  Also, with prices going up (talking about the U.K. here) people are being a little more cautious… it’s almost a ‘go fully for it…  or don’t bother’ attitude.  We generally close for the Winter, but opened mid Feb and are now and have been, apart from a few odd random days, pretty much booked until the end of August, and September/October bookings starting to trickle in.  Which is much much better than the previous two years.  We have a min of a three night stay and leave one night between reservations.  We have reservations anything from three to 20 days long, two repeat visitors from last year.  We have not raised our prices, do not provide welcome baskets, try to be flexible with check in and check out, charge a nominal cleaning fee to cover complete sanitising between guests, do not charge extra for extra guests (up to 5 allowed) and seem to be between 5%-10% cheaper than similar properties.  We are still making a decent profit and are happy.  I think trying to be as reasonable and flexible as you can is key.  Welcome baskets are lovely, but often contain items that guests would not necessarily buy.  Far better to reduce your nightly rate, not provide one and allow that early check in or late check out (within reason) if you can

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

No sooner posted that above when my 20 day stay cancelled! 🤣

Donna1173
Level 2
Hendersonville, NC

I am so glad (and not) to hear this. I have been hosting since November 2020, and even during that next January and February through the height of Covid, I was busy and quickly earned super host status and all 5 star reviews. I have only had 4-5 bookings this year so far, and none in March! The weather is perfect, and I am advertising and promoting Facebook posts. Not sure what to do!

Dennise-Ann0
Level 4
Twain Harte, CA

I also have had a dramatic drop in bookings.  I have a remote cabin so I am thinking it might be fuel costs that are affecting my rates.  Before the fuel cost sky rocketed, I had the cabin booked for just about every day I had it available.  Now the weather is beautiful and have not had any bookings for about a month.  Also inflation is hitting the average family hard.  So I think between inflation and fuel, most of my potential guests are staying home.  

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

@Dennise-Ann0 @Debbie-And-Barry1 

This post is fascinating to me. I too have seen the drop on Airbnb but I thought it was due to me removing instant book and raising prices in Dec.  airbnb became a ghost town after I did that but I’ve seen no drop on VRBO in fact it’s slammed.

What on earth can explain this….

This is the April calendar from one of my worst listings (no professional photos and no cute decor no amenities just a good location). Red is Vrbo so all of these bookings are from one place for the month. I’ve got tons of other examples I just pulled this one first. 

67CCEA8A-E7F6-4CE8-BD8B-4925F0E2BB50.png

Catherine1571
Level 2
Seaford, United Kingdom

Yes, since the search bar has changed, my booking have taken such a dive that I am on the verge of moving from Airbnb, either to another platform, or to long term lets. It's very worrying!

Same here @Catherine1571 ! Since July - bookings have been CRICKETS!!!