No longer receiving app sound notifications

Andrea6232
Level 10
Bergamo, Italy

No longer receiving app sound notifications

Ciao to everybody,

today I got 2 requests for information, but for both of them there was no sound notification on my phone.

I am using Iphone with IOS 17.1.2.

I checked settings and apparently everything is okay.

Did it happen also to you?

I called Airbnb Assistance and  they told me to uninstall and reinstall the app, but before doing that I would like to have your opinion

thank you very much

Andrea

34 Replies 34

My Scheduled summary has been off.

Still not getting the original tone.

Marijana37
Level 2
Split, Croatia

Hi Andrea,

Did you manage to solve the problem ? Same is unfortunately happening here ...iPhone 13 pro max,ios 17.3. Have tried to toggle off/on scheduled summary,have deleted/reinstalled app...no results,still having this new weird , silent sound instead of lovely old one.

Thanks !

Marijana

Same here :)) 

Ivana Okrug Gornji, Croatia
Leslie-A0
Level 3
Verona, KY

I have an android phone, my hosting friend has apple. It’s the sound that’s changed..it’s so faint you don’t hear it… & I can’t seem to make it any different. Looks like Airbnb changed the sound, it’s not an apple issue… so how can we let Airbnb know this is not okay!! In order to respond quickly to guests we need to KNOW we need to!

Hi @Leslie-A0 

iOS 17 Apple changed the default tone to something barely audible. You can change the default alert to something louder by going to Settings/Sounds & Haptics/Default Alerts. Then turn OFF change with buttons and increase the ringtone & alerts slider to very loud. That way you'll hear the alert notification better.

The issue with the distinctive Airbnb alert tone is ongoing, but many were able to correct that by turning OFF "Scheduled Summary" (see below):

Change iPhone Default Notification 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-change-iphone-default-notification-sound-ios-17/#:~:text....

Joan2709_0-1707582082973.png

Notifications.png

Thanks but I do not have an apple phone… I have an android.. & I’ve tried everything but cannot change the notification sound for the app… 

@Leslie-A0 

Well...rats! 😠

I'm not familiar with android, but is there a default setting for text & email notifications?  Some are saying that Airbnb has removed the distinctive tone, so consequently, you would have to change your default tone for all messages and emails now? 

No unfortunately the Airbnb app on my phone doesn’t have an option to select a sound. 😭… I don’t care what sound it makes it just needs to be audible!! Since it’s happening to others & not just apple users… it must be a platform thing & I wish someone from company would fix!

thank you so much for trying to help!!

Hi @Leslie-A0 

What I'm saying is android must have a default tone for ALL notifications. You would need to change that setting to a different tone and turn up the volume on it so at least you can hear it. You would hear the same tone for ALL messages and emails (including Airbnb notifications):

Here's how to manually add a custom sound to your android phone through the Settings app:
  1. Go to Settings > Sound & vibration. ...
  2. Tap Default notification sound > My Sounds.
  3. Tap + (plus sign).
  4. Find and select your custom sound.
  5. Your new ringtone should appear in the list of available ringtones in the My Sounds section.

How to Change Android Notification Sounds

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-create-android-notification-sounds-4783114

Again, thank you so much.  I’ve already done all that… I have an older android & I don’t have those options… I’ve googled every blog/youtube out there…

I might try to delete the app & reinstall it… 

Hi @Leslie-A0 

Yes...good idea. To be sure you are running the most recent software, deleting and re-installing the Airbnb App can resolve it. I would also make sure you are running the most recent Android software. I would also turn off your phone completely, wait a few minutes and turn it back on. If none of that works, then you might have to upgrade to a newer phone:

How to Change Notification Sounds for Each App on Android

https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-customize-notification-sounds-android/

Deborah1500
Level 2
Jonesborough, TN

Same thing here! I have an iPhone 14 and there is no place on the Airbnb app to set a notification for sounds. This is frustrating because I need to respond to guest inquiries. It makes a barely audible plop sound. Ugh! I have tried all of the suggestions, and nothing works. 

Hi @Deborah1500 

This has been a pain for us all! Hosts have put their heads together and come up with a way to add the previous Airbnb tone back to messages until Airbnb fixes the App. It's kinda "techy" but is working for me and alot of other Hosts. I'm posting the workaround and other thread on this for you. This will only work if you have SMS text messages ON in your Notifications on your account in Airbnb:

Joan2709_4-1709126540430.png

Joan2709_5-1709126763109.png

Previous Thread On Adding Airbnb Tone Back to Your Phone

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Ask-about-your-listing/What-happened-to-the-unique-notification-...

A BIG THANK YOU to both of you! Thanks to Ben for providing the mp3 file of the Airbnb tone and thanks to @Bettye6 for suggesting to add a ringtone to the contact phone number for Airbnb Text Messages! I created my own custom ringtone using the mp3 file of the Airbnb ringtone in Garage Band and then added it to the Airbnb Contact phone number on my phone. I was finally able to add the Airbnb Tone back to the text message notifications. Yaay! Feels like way to much work when all we really need is Airbnb to add the tone back to the App. Anyhoo...this is for iPhone users (not sure about Android?)

You will need the Garage Band App on your iPhone (It's fee to download from the App store if you don't have it) and you'll be downloading the mp3 file to your Files App:

Joan2709_2-1709126353041.png

- First, download the mp3 file that Ben provided to your Files App on your phone

https://prodigits.co.uk/content/ringtones/tone/2020/alert/airbnb_bb906f114930880.mp3

- Second, follow the instructions in the YouTube Video below on how to add a custom ringtone to your iPhone using Garage Band App - Start the video at 1:26 as the beginning doesn't pertain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2PHFkbaV6Y

Whew! I was able to get it to work! You then just add the custom ringtone to the Contact Info for the Airbnb phone number that you receive text messages from. Hopefully Airbnb will just add the tone back to the App and save us all alot of headache.

Joan2709_3-1709126353046.png

Let us know here if you were able to get it to work for you!

Thank you for providing the mp3 file. I have added it through garage band as a text tone to my airbnb contact numbers ❤️

Laurie741
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

I have deleted and reinstalled and it didn't do anything. 

Verizon says AIRBNB can only change the tone. And the reps seem to be clueless. 

Frustrating!