Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

No more bookings from Airbnb

Terri129
Level 3
Plymouth, CA

No more bookings from Airbnb

Was getting several bookings from Airbnb until I made a negative comment about Black Lives Matter. Haven;t had a booking from Airbnb for 9 months although frequently booked thru another venue. Coincidence?

13 Replies 13
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Terri129 yes.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Terri129 

Probably coincidence.

If Airbnb was shutting you down they would tell you.

@Brian2036  no they wouldn't .

@Terri129try making better pictures with a profesional camera. Update your description, lower your prices for a few $ and see if it will make a difference.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Terri129 @Terri129 

Well, they probably wouldn’t actually TELL you but you would know because your calendar would be blocked.

Possibly your position on the search rankings has dropped and that’s difficult to figure out. 

They like it when you have a long detailed description that no one reads. They also like it when you enable instant book.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Terri129 

I just did a search for listings near Plymouth CA for two adults, Nov 1-8.

I found several other listings but I don’t see yours. You might try doing this yourself in case I’m missing something.

@Brian2036 @Terri129  Sometimes, if there are more than 1 listing on the same location, the price bubbles on the map can cover each other. It happened to me so instead of showing the exact location I changed my setting so the pointer shows the approximate location. It worked.

Thank you. The dates you checked are not booked or blocked. So it should have come up.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States
Terri129
Level 3
Plymouth, CA

My listing is showing in the search results but I haven't received a booking from Airbnb for over 6 months when before that I had bookings from Airbnb every month. Now my bookings all come through VRBO or from repeat guests or from our web site. Something is going on at Airbnb.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Terri129 

That is very strange and I can’t imagine what the cause might be.

If you look at your “insights” tab under your listing you can see how many people looked at your listing in the last 30 days. 

Mine usually runs at about 350. I would think that yours would be more than that.

Good news is that your listing is actually there and it is not "ghosted" (only you see it). But, you do not show up on page 1.  You will get a lot more views, and so also get bookings, if you enable Instant Booking. 

Our quick recommendations are: 
1. You need to increase your max guests to 4, and provide a quality folding cot.  Now, you will have mom, dad and up to 2 kids. 
2. Your living room needs a fresh look.   The carpet, chair and sofa look tired and outdated.  If that sofa were a really good sleeper sofa, now you can have 2 couples staying and that makes you much more attractive in your area. 
3. Dated kitchen.  Time to paint those cabinets.  And sharp new hardware.  Maybe update the flooring too.  A lot can be done without spending a lot. 
4. Re-order the photos to put your best foot forward
5. Get better photos and get rid of photos that are not needed.  Those old yellow warm bulbs make for bad photos. 

You are obviously really good hosts.  But, it is time to update "grandma's old ranch house".  You will get a lot more bookings and be able to charge more and make more. 

We don't want 4 guests, carpet chair and sofa (a high quality sofabed) are nearly new. We have no shortage of bookings. We just don't get them from Airbnb ever since I made a negative comment in community forum about Black Lives Matter.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Terri129 where did you make the comment? Here?