Noise from Airbnb unit upstairs.

Noise from Airbnb unit upstairs.

I live in a Victorian townhouse that has been converted into three apartments. I reside on the first floor, and the apartment above mine has been an Airbnb for the past year. The host recently switched from long-term to short-term rentals and increased the occupancy from two to three bedrooms, accommodating up to six people.

This change has significantly impacted my quality of life. The noise from footfall on the floorboards is constant and unbearable, akin to living inside a drum day and night.

I've complained to the host numerous times, but he dismisses my concerns, claiming that I have to accept the situation. I strongly disagree. Why should I tolerate unwanted noise from guests who have no business staying in a residential property where people live and work?

I've filed a case against the host with the city council. He has a month to appeal, which he is likely to do. During this time, he can continue operating the Airbnb. Even if his appeal is granted, it can take up to two months for a final decision.

Airbnb's neighbourhood support hasn't been helpful, despite my providing substantial evidence. My neighbours have even resorted to installing CCTV due to issues with package tampering and the theft of my bicycle from inside the building since the Airbnb began operating.

I am seeking advice on how to move forward and explore any other potential solutions to this problem.

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@David11217 does your lease allow short term rental? if not then his will not either

Unfortunately because the property is so old it doesn't mention anything about commercial usage in the deeds. Many people I've talked to about this have said my only option is to move out but I've  just moved into this property 3 years ago so it isn't as simple as packing up and leaving.