Not allowed to rent for less than 30 days in all unincorporated areas of San Mateo County

Not allowed to rent for less than 30 days in all unincorporated areas of San Mateo County

I called the county to get a rental business license, and they informed me that renting for less than 30 days is not allowed in the unincorporated areas of the county that are not coastal. I just can't believe it, and I don't understand why we are restricted as an unincorporated area.  Especially the Airbnb market seems very slow right now, so finding guests staying for more than a month is very difficult. Has anyone found out anything about this issue, and if there are any solutions?

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Carol6878 Isn't it as simple as the county trying to ensure there is housing available for locals to live in?

Having a lack of lodging it would seem logical to let people rent and not restrain them. The cost of living here became so high that many of us need to rent rooms in our own home to be able to continue living here. I dont think there should be a difference between incorporated or unincorporated area in the same area. There should be the same for all citizens in a same area.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

The only solution is to meet the STR restrictions in your location if you want to be able to host. @Carol6878 

As @Mike-And-Jane0 says many areas are introducing STR restrictions because of the impact STRs are having on the availability of longer term rentals in communities which in turn is impacting on the availability of rentals for key workers. 

I understand your concerns about the restrictions on renting for less than 30 days in unincorporated areas. It’s a common challenge, but you might be surprised to learn there’s a silver lining, especially in areas like San Mateo. Despite the initial disbelief, properties with a minimum 30-day stay requirement often see a significant number of bookings. This is due to the demand from professionals on extended business trips, families in transition needing temporary housing, and others seeking longer-term accommodations.

In San Mateo, the market for such rentals is particularly robust, thanks to its vibrant tech industry and other economic activities that attract a steady stream of professionals and visitors looking for month-long stays. By targeting these segments and optimizing your listing to highlight the benefits of longer stays (like reduced rates, amenities, and the comfort of a home-away-from-home), you can tap into this lucrative market.

So, while it may seem like a setback at first, this regulation can actually open up a new, potentially more stable revenue stream for your rental business.

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey @Carol6878,

Did any of the answers below help you resolve the issue? If so, it's always a lovely gesture to mark it as the best answer. It's like a big virtual hug to the member who supported you. 😊

If you need any help, just shout. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines