Not being paid for add on rental

Answered!
Brent298
Level 2
Carcross, Canada

Not being paid for add on rental

Hi,

I’m not sure if this is the place to ask this but there’s my question:

Our Airbnb rental is a cabin that accommodates 4 people. When there’s more in the party, we are willing to offer our yurt as an add on (we never rent the yurt as a stand alone Airbnb rental to avoid over running the property with multiple parties). Twice in a row our cabin guests requested the yurt as well as an additional “bedroom” for their group. But then the first didn’t use it at all….what do we do? Still charge them? (We use the request money feature) and our next group the day they were checking in indicated they don’t need it. So, what do you do when someone books extra services then doesn't use them? We worked hard to get the yurt ready both times, then don’t get anything for it. We don’t feel right charging them but we also feel burnt a bit too.

thoughts as to how to manage this better? Or is there a better way to charge for the yurt as an add on to avoid not being paid?

Thanks!

Brent

Brent and Co.
1 Best Answer

@Brent298 I think it comes down to timing - collect the payment for the yurt (or any other add-ons) before doing the work of preparing it. No prepayment, no yurt access. 

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9

@Brent298 I think it comes down to timing - collect the payment for the yurt (or any other add-ons) before doing the work of preparing it. No prepayment, no yurt access. 

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

Hi @Brent298 

So first, I had to Google because I did not know what a yurt was.

If guest requests yurt upfront, inform them that there is NO refund if not used. This is similar to ordering a cruise excursion. It’s not your fault if they don’t use it. 

Wow, that’s big!  Absolutely get paid. 

Thank you @Gwen386 good advice. Thanks!

Brent and Co.
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Brent298 You could consider two listings

Listing 1 - The cabin sleeping X

Listing 2 The cabin + Yurt sleeping X+2

That way you know what is booked and will maximise the potential from the additional space.

Thank you @Mike-And-Jane0 ! Would there be a way that these two calendars would synchronize so we don't get double bookings on the two listings? 

Brent and Co.

@Brent298 yes. You can link the calendars very easily. The only thing to remember is a booking for one will block the other. Making one unavailable will not block the other which is handy if you only want the expensive option available for certain times of year.

@Brent298 to create a second listing you can duplicate the original and then edit to add the yurt etc. Just check all the settings as duplicating sets a flexible cancellation policy and switches on Instant Book.

Wendy1409
Level 3
Lakewood, OH

Let me preface this by saying your place is absolutely gorgeous, and I  love yurts! We have a small one from The Colorado Yurt co. that we take for long camping. Seriously, I'm trying to talk the hubs into a Canada road trip now,  just so I have an excuse to book with you.

Regarding the charges- you said you didn't usually rent the yurt seperately, so technically you only lost what time and amenities you put out for them.  Were they otherwise good guests? If so, maybe send them a money request, but for a percentage of the normal fee, just to cover the extra effort you guys went to.  Tell them you don't want to charge the whole fee, since it wasn't used, and you're just charging for the service cost.  You guys recoup what you put in, they get a nice discount, and hopefully everyone walks away happy.  

Brent298
Level 2
Carcross, Canada

Thank you @Wendy1409 ! Please come explore the Yukon - crash at our place, it'd be wonderful! Our Yurt is made by Groovy Yurts...super cool. Authentic Mongolian painting on all the wood inside. We love it. 

They were both good guests. We are new at this airbnb gig, so don't want to be pushy, yet want to learn and cover ourselves too. Thanks for your suggestions! 

Brent and Co.