Offering a family and friends discount

Jo834
Level 2
Frankston, Australia

Offering a family and friends discount

What is the best way to offer family and friends a discount every time they book with us?

It looks like the only way to do this is to review each and every booking request and apply a special offer to any from people we know personally - is there another way with fewer steps?

Thanks in advance

10 Replies 10
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Jo834 

My experience family and friends are the worst they want it for Free, you end up paying your cost, ie, electric, cleaning, laundry and so on,

Each aiabnb has a running cost,

I usually tell them Im full 

We've only ever allowed family and friends to stay and so far it's been working really well. We only listed on Airbnb to streamline the booking process. I originally had our booking listed at the low rate we charge family and friends. As you might expect,  we get bombarded with requests from other people who saw it as a total bargain, so now I've hiked up the price and want to offer a discount to family and friends. 

Alternatively I'd love to have the listing somehow set to only be viewable by people who have a direct link so it doesn't come up in search results. Not sure either option is possible right now? 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Jo834 you need to make your mind up if this is your private holiday house or an Airbnb it cannot easily be both .It is not what most people do H

Jo834
Level 2
Frankston, Australia

This seems to be one of the most blended personal/professional platforms available I've found, with some people hosting guests in a spare bedroom or granny flat. If someone's spare room can be both personal and Airbnb I don't see why our holiday house can't? 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@At tax time you will find out that they are very much not the same thing. People do it but paying guests , ie 'market value guests ' will always take precedence over friends and family if you are intending to pay tax , as ability to claim tax benefits is dependant on your listing being 'available for rent at all times'. Family and friends should not be charged and use the place only when it is not booked and this charging of family and friends at a lower rate ,makes no sense. Maybe look up a little tax law to avoid a nasty surprise in the future . H

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you only want to rent to family and friends why are you using a listing company??

Set up a website for your accommodation, with T&Cs and a payment facility and send the link to family and friends who want to book. @Jo834 

Jo834
Level 2
Frankston, Australia

We were doing that and it wasn't very efficient use of my time. This is definitely better with a lot of the fiddly stuff taken care of. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Seems strange you want family and friends to pay such high commission rates to Airbnb @Jo834  but absolutely your choice.

Michael5047
Level 6
West Palm Beach, FL

@Jo834 

I think the best thing to do is to have them send an inquiry and then send them a special offer.

Hope that works!

Mike from West Palm

Thanks Michael, that seems to be the best option.