Overstaying past check-out time

Answered!

Overstaying past check-out time

Hi everyone, just wondering what approach you take when check-out time has passed and the guest still hasn't left your apartment? Thanks in advance. 

1 Best Answer

@Robert7718. Hi Robert you mention 10am sharp for cleaners in your listing. Just have this in your House Rules and remind them again night before check out. After check out time has lapsed call them as well as message to ask if any issues as you noticed that they havent checked out yet.

Similar to other hosts, if you need to get the cleaners in, tell them they are on the way and after 10  mins allow them to enter the property and proceed to clean (start with noisy vacuum cleaners). Hotels do this all the time. You want to give them every opportunity to clean up themselves.

If you dont have back to back bookings and cleaners arent due that morning you could always offer later a check out and say because they've been a great guest etc (you're a new host and wanting to build those great reviews quickly).

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Robert7718 if its more than 20 mins or so we call them and remind them about the checkout time.

Thanks Mike and Jane, I did that and it helped. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Remind them of check out times in the house guide and the day before .

get to the property just after check out time . If guest is still there start cleaning upstairs rooms and remind them they are charged for staying beyond check out times @Robert7718 

@Helen3 I think this would guarantee @Robert7718 a bad review. Unless there is an urgent need to get cleaners in or start cleaning a chilled approach is surely better.

I haven't got bad reviews for enforcing check out times @Mike-And-Jane0 

Excellent suggestions Helen. Thanks. 

@Robert7718. Hi Robert you mention 10am sharp for cleaners in your listing. Just have this in your House Rules and remind them again night before check out. After check out time has lapsed call them as well as message to ask if any issues as you noticed that they havent checked out yet.

Similar to other hosts, if you need to get the cleaners in, tell them they are on the way and after 10  mins allow them to enter the property and proceed to clean (start with noisy vacuum cleaners). Hotels do this all the time. You want to give them every opportunity to clean up themselves.

If you dont have back to back bookings and cleaners arent due that morning you could always offer later a check out and say because they've been a great guest etc (you're a new host and wanting to build those great reviews quickly).

Thanks Frances, that is really helpful. 

Fabiana310
Level 3
Uvita, Costa Rica

Hi everyone, this issue has to be the most frustrating part of hosting (for me).   

No mater what I do, I have guests that stay past check-out time.  Here's what I am doing to communicate check-out time:

- I have a friendly reminder text sent the day before check-out. 

- I mention check out time at check in.

- I do not have check out time in the rules as I have other important rules in this section and find no one reads them anyways. 

- I give them approx. 10 min. and then knock on their door asking if everything is ok. 

For me, I find these particular guests actually think the check-out time means "the time to start packing".  

I have tried everything and nothing seems to work with these type of guests.