Palm Desert Changing Zoning Rules/Bedrooms

Carrie557
Level 1
San Clemente, CA

Palm Desert Changing Zoning Rules/Bedrooms

I went to renew my STR license with the city of Palm Desert and they wouldn’t renew it unless I removed one of my bedrooms from my listing. I purchased a three bedroom condo 2+ years ago and have received an STR license from the city of Palm Desert for the last two years for a three bedroom. Now, suddenly I’m being told my 3rd bedroom can no longer be considered a bedroom. There are 800 other condos in my complex that have the same layout. My type of unit is currently being advertised and sold as a three bedroom condo. Long term rentals can advertise and rent my unit as a 3 bedroom. However STR’s are not allowed to advertise as a 3 bedroom? This makes no sense. I’ve been told that I can only advertise it as a two bedroom that sleeps 4. If I advertise it as a three bedroom that sleeps six I could be fined and lose my license. And if I don’t pay the fine, I could have a lien put against my home. Is anyone else having this issue? How is this legal? It’s discrimination. 

4 Replies 4
Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

@Dawn241 Airbnb rule is 2 people per bedroom and 2 more in a common area like a living room. It is also my understanding the local jurisdiction laws trump the airbnb guidelines. 

@Dawn241 Palm Desert City Council ruled on May 9, 2024, that STRs are not allowed to sleep two people in common areas/living rooms. We are thinking about appealing this decision to district court and have asked for AIRBNB’s help. They are only allowing two people per bedroom. Also, the Building Department ruled on May 23, that rooms in Monterey CC that have rooms attached atrium are legally dens (not bedrooms). They also ruled that dens are non-sleeping and therefore STR owners can not sleep two people in dens. We bought a three bedroom condo and the city just took away one of the bedrooms (not just from STR owners). This will affect the entire community. Monterey CC is not the only community with rooms like this attached to an atrium. This will effect property values for approximately 1,000 condos within Monterey CC. We are appealing this decision and waiting on a hearing date to have a hearing with City Council. 

Hi @Carrie557 , we don't have this issue here in SJC, however I'm curious as to HOW the city 'removed' 1 of 3 bedrms in your condo for your STR..  Also, when we have international guests traveling with babies or young children, they always have them sleep in the same room as the parents, either in a crib or on our supplied twin mattress for the room (it's big) . Since they have specified only 2 per per room, what about children and babies?  Has this come up?  Thank you, and I'd like to know the final ruling, upon appeal if you follow thru with that.  Respectfully, Judith

@Carrie557 In real estate the definition of a bedroom means it has a closet and window (fore egress). You typically cannot walk thru a room to get to another bedroom, it has to have a hallway.