Payout Not Released

George1817
Level 2
Morzine, France

Payout Not Released

I have had my chalet to rent with Airbnb since 2020.

I have always been paid up until 1st August 2022;

Since then I have not been paid.

My bank details have never changed.

My website designer also created the Airbnb account.

They say he is still the account owner but he has since left the country, changed profession and is untraceable.

My choices are:

1. Continue to search for my account creator who, for all I know, may no longer be alive.

2. Say goodbye to 15000euros, cancel the future bookings and try to convince them to book with my new profile. (Highly unlikely as they will probably think it's a scam.)

Airbnb needs to address the problem of Account Owner/Co-Host as I am not the only one in this situation.

Whatever happens, Airbnb will earn financially out of my problem.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated;

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@George1817 I don't think you can hold Airbnb responsible for your web site designer setting the property up under his name rather than yours. If Airbnb just believed everyone claiming a listing as theirs then we would all be at risk from scammers.

Do you have access to the transactions under the account? If not then I can't see a way forward other than tracking down this elusive person. For 15,000 Euros it might even be worth employing a  professional to find them.

I would certainly snooze the property/block its calendar and re-list it in your name otherwise you will lose more money.

Many thanks for your reply and I fully understand your comments.

It was very frustrating being pushed pillar to post before Airbnb actually came up with this reply.

I had to spend hours on the help-line and chat forums before they finally decided that it was the account owner who had to make contact.

Why did my bank payment suddenly change?

My point is; what happens to the co-host if the account owner, worst case scenario,  dies?

Thank you once again.

@George1817 I fear your website designer may have changed the bank from yours to his. He may well also remove yours a co host which would then create even bigger problems.  Alternatively there was new info needed for EU listings which may be stopping you getting paid.

Are there outstanding bookings on the property? If there are or if the person does take over your listing I do wonder what Airbnb does when people turn up and find they cannot get in.

Yes, that was my initial worry. You may think I'm being naive but I know the guy and find it highly unlikely that he would do that. He's been through some really bad times emotionally recently so I really want to give him a chance to help me.

Also, the money is still in my Airbnb account awaiting to be paid. He could have cancelled me as co-host ages ago.

I think you're right though. best thing is for me to create a new profile and try and transfer the future bookings across, even with cancellation fees;

It's a nightmare! 

@George1817 I wonder if @Quincy could find someone more senior in Airbnb to look at this. I don't hold out too much hope but your points on what happens if someone dies are perhaps worth exploring. In your case if you can prove you own the property and the bank account for payments you might just get some help.

Yes, thanks again for your replies and advice.

I have owned the property since 2004, it is the only one I rent out and I have all the relevant ownership documents; l'acte d'achat etc;

Fingers crossed for some Airbnb support help.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @George1817 @Mike-And-Jane0 ,

I came across this discussion and seems like George has already been in touch with Support regarding this matter.

Considering the concerns, I have also reached out to the appropriate team with both of your feedback. I hope someone looks into your case again and reaches out to you for further advice!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thanks for your reply Bhumika,

I have indeed been in contact with the airbnb support team but the problem ahs not yet been resolved.

Thanks again for your help.