Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Payout to closed account

Nick759
Level 2
Rome, Italy

Payout to closed account

I've seen this has been an issue with many hosts.. 

I was slack about updating default payout when I had a closed bank account so for over 6 months , 20 transfers were sent to my closed account that bounced back from my bank to Airbnb.

I have presented proof of return funds from my bank (though some missing)

When Airbnb payments raised as an issue with the payment processor, then end up sending the proof of original payout. So we simply go in circles and I am asked for proof of returns AGAIN.

Super stressful - I had no money for repairs etc....

It makes me wonder what is going on...are they being deliberately thick. Where is the money? 

I believe an internal investigation is needed, as returned funds are being held and not paid out. 

My Q is how to escalate it???

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Nick759 Slightly lacking sympathy I am afraid. Money cannot be that tight for you if you went 6 months without  noticing payments had been stopped.

There is no complaints procedure within Airbnb let alone an escalation route. You could take them to arbitration or the small claims court and they might speed up a bit.

many thx...I wasnt looking for sympathy, and luckily i dont totally depend on Airbnb. If I did I would have spotted it sooner..thx for the tip!

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Nick759   When you close an account that has funds automatically deposited or withdrawn, it is up to you to ensure that those deposit and payments have been re-addressed to a new account prior to closing the old account.  In the case of payments being received from an organization like AirBnB, who have myriad complaints about late payments, lack of payments and an archaic bank designation process, you should have done your due diligence.  At this point, you are probably going to have to go to court.

Thanks for the comment....Airbnb say they want to help but seem to be being deliberately dumb....Its obvious is all payouts have bounced, then they still have them for that period...For half of these I have proof of return from the my bank....(for half the bank Transferwise inexplicably say that when inward funds bounce, there is no record in their bank - so why is there proof of funds for the others)...

If Airbnb are holding my funds, then it makes you wonder where they go?? 

If you want to take Airbnb to court then what is their address if you're using them in the UK?

cheers

nick

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Nick759 

Assuming that you now have a viable method to receive payments in place, I think that eventually an internal audit at Airbnb will reveal that they owe you money, and they will then pay you.

This sort of thing drives the bean-counters mad.

They have all the records they need to see what they owe you. Someone just has to search for them.