Permit Extension in the City of Los Angeles

Rajan2
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

Permit Extension in the City of Los Angeles

I am hosting with only a few days left on my permit to host within the City of Los Angeles. It does not make sense to pay the additional $850 dollars to host for 6 more weeks. Has anyone had luck with getting the City of Los Angeles to extend the permit days available for the guests. We would like to support those who need a place to stay during this time but won't be able to due to regulations that were not adjusted during 2020 and Covid.

14 Replies 14
Rajan2
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

I've got only one more day to host and then I am blocked for the rest of the year. Then I need to reapply. Is anyone considering not re-hosting due to the fees?

Rajan2
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

Still looking to see if I can extend. Doesn't seem like anyone is having this issue? If you are, please leave a message. 

Rajan2
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

I have the ability to host, but I don't think the City will extend. I cannot reach anyone from the office that delivers permits.

Rajan2
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

I reached out to the City of Los Angeles Home Sharing Offices and was told the following: 

We do not offer an option to extend the regular registration outside of the extended home-sharing permit.  Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Thank you

Home-Sharing Unit
Rajan2
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

My Airbnb is now sitting empty and cannot be rented till Feb 5 2021. Zero income for both myself, Airbnb and the City of Los Angeles. Also, stock shares were given to hosts, we did not qualify. Payments were made to hosts to keep them in business, we did not qualify. If anyone has had any success getting through to keep some income coming in, please let me know. It's the worst part of all of what is happening, while others profit with their IPOs and tax dollars. Done complaining just was hoping they would have offered a variance to this permit. 

Oliver579
Level 1
New York, NY

Hi Rajan, did you ever get a airbnb extension from the city? I'm in a similar situation and love to hear. Hope you're well. 

Russell299
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I have a property in Los Angeles that includes both my residence and a guest house. I obtained a current Extended Home-Sharing Certificate from the City of Los Angeles, but Airbnb still is blocking further bookings, and I can't seem to get anybody in Airbnb Support to address this. The City of Los Angeles Home Sharing Ordinance  defines "Extended Home-Sharing" as "Home-Sharing that is permitted for an unlimited number of days in a calendar year." I've only booked 213 nights in 2022, but Airbnb is blocking further bookings, claiming I have reached my limit. They also are giving me a calculation of booked nights that is wrong. I asked Airbnb support to look at my calendar, but they keep giving me the wrong number, and I can't get anyone to explain how I have reached my limit, when the City of Los Angeles is allowing me an "unlimited number" of bookings per "calendar year." If I cannot get Airbnb to correct the error, I will have to quit Airbnb and maybe even sell my home, because I rely on the Airbnb income to pay my mortgage. This is beyond frustrating.

Hi @Russell299 ,

did you have any luck resolving this ? We are in a similar situation and don’t know what to do next 

No luck. I provided proof to Airbnb customer support, showing that I had only 213 nights booked for 2022, but they ignored the proof. Now they just terminate the conversation when I bring it up. They say I need to contact the City of LA, but the City of LA has granted me extended home sharing, and it is Airbnb, not the City of LA, that has miscalculated the number of bookings at my place.

Have you tried to start a new listing and re-registered vs extending? 

@Russell299 Can you share your experience with the process of applying for the extended home sharing certificate?  I understand you need to notify your neighbors of your Airbnb.  How many people must you notify?  What was the response from your neighbors? Thank you.

I had no trouble applying for,  and getting, the extended home sharing certificate. If anyone notified neighbors, it would have been the City doing that. Apparently no one had a problem. But there was one big problem. AirBnb ignored the fact that I got the certificate, and they blocked new bookings, even though I had only 213 nights booked for 2022. They admitted that they're calculations were in error, but they refused to do anything about it. The last time I patiently tried to get this resolved with AirBnb customer support, they simply terminated the conversation. Now I might actually lose my home, because without the ability to rent out my place on Airbnb, I cannot make my mortgage payments.

WHAT WEBPAGE OR PHONE NUMBER DID YOU USE?

I'm having the same issue.  So frustrating.  They're asking me to show proof that Extended Home sharing permit allows me 365 days per year.  They are telling me that's not true.   Exhausting... did you ever make any progress?