Platform glitch “failed to send” no resolution ?

Esther1067
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

Platform glitch “failed to send” no resolution ?

Hello everyone. I am a relatively new host and loving Airbnb so far. However, I have an intermittent problem with the platform telling me that my messages to guests have not been sent. I get a “failed to send” message. So far, all the messages have been sent so this is not an internet problem. But obviously it means that I often don’t know if a guest has received a message or not. 

it has been going on for several weeks now.

each time it happens I complain. The super host support team reply with a large number of platitudes and then close the case. I have asked for the complaints team but they have not given me details. I am not a business host (but have complained there as well).

they say that I am the only person in the world with this problem which reminded me of the post office scandal in the UK.

any thoughts on what I should do next??

thanks

17 Replies 17
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Esther1067 for brightening our day mentioning the Post Office scandal and Horizon, see it's Machine Learning aye???

Joseph Weizenbaum said there would be problems with Artificial Intelligence, wise man he was.

So much for UK ''What Works' Not working either!!!

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Esther1067 

I’m assuming you are using Airbnb messaging, and not Messages, WhatsApp, etc.

As a software engineer, let me ask a couple of questions:

Are you using the browser-based site or the Airbnb app?

If browser, what browser are you using?

A couple of diagnostic suggestions:

If browser:

1) Try another browser (I.e. Chrome) to see if it happens there.

2) Clear the cache of the browser, and/or reinstall the browser.

If Airbnb app:

1) Reinstall the app. You won’t lose any of your settings, reservations, etc.

Also, has this happened with more than one guest? If it’s just one guest, it could be having a hard time resolving the address on the other end.

Esther1067
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi Pat. Thank you for such a thoughtful reply! 

i am using the AirBnB app. It happens with multiple guests. I have update IOS on my phone, deleted and reinstalled the app. This hasn’t worked.

airbnb technical support say I would get an error message if I had 25 threads in a day or ten in an hour. I haven’t had that many, and the error still occurs first thing in the morning. I also had a different error message. Airbnb support just reiterated this advice and then shut the message down!!! 
I think technical support need to have a think, especially as it looks like it isn’t just me with your excellent sleuth work. Thanks! 

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Esther1067 

Just to make you feel less alone, 🙂 here is someone else with the same problem. Not much help, I’m afraid.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Support-with-your-bookings/Been-having-problems-with-my-Airbnb-i...

Esther1067
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thank you Pat! Amazing - it does make me feel better and I suspect others are having a problem as well. I have contacted Bea. Thanks!

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi there @Esther1067

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Would you be able to share a screenshot and the date and time this happened please? Then I'll be able to raise to the tech team. 

Many thanks in advance, 

Rebecca 🌟

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Esther1067
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

 Hi Rebecca,

amazing! Thanks a lot.

Bringing this to the community was a last resort. I have been messaging the support team almost daily. They finally heard back from the technical team but the advice was for an incorrect error message (not the one I am getting) and said it was because there was a limit on messages. I haven’t reached this limit but they repeated this and closed down the query.

Hopefully you will have more luck? And have you seen that I am not the only one!!

will attach a screen shot. Thanks! 

IMG_4963.jpeg

IMG_4958.jpeg

I am getting this message for the first time as well, from yesterday 28/02/2024 and again today.

Hi Deborah, 

How annoying for you. My problem is still not resolved…..and is now with the “escalation team”. I am guessing that you have let Airbnb support know? Can you mention this thread so they don’t say that this is an isolated problem that no one else has? 
thanks and good luck! Esther

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it @Esther1067 

It may help reset.

Esther1067
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thanks Helen

yes, I did this at the start. It had no effect. I also updated my operating system and updated the app. 

thanks

Esther

I started receiving the "failed to send" today (2024-02-29) for the first time.

Esther1067
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry to hear that Cody. I am guessing you have told Airbnb support? Maybe they need to look at this thread? Esther

I have notified support and will forward a link to this thread.