Please I’m in need of an attorney in Houston. The house owner of the property I used for Airbnb , the house owner has refused to return my security deposit of 3,000$

Please I’m in need of an attorney in Houston. The house owner of the property I used for Airbnb , the house owner has refused to return my security deposit of 3,000$

"Please, I need help with a lawyer in Houston. My lease  with a house owner has ended  a month ago. I cleaned his property and sent him pictures, and he stated he would send me my security deposit of $3,000 in 30 days. Finally, he was supposed to send my deposit tomorrow, but all of a sudden he is saying he can’t give me the security deposit.". Please I will appreciate if anyone can recommend an attorney in Houston . 

2 Replies 2

@Tamica5. Before you engage an expensive attorney you should check whether sub letting was permitted in your lease and if it required landlord consent, or are there other reasons why he might try and withhold your security deposit?

Also, is there a not for profit rental association in Houston that might be able to help, or a govt department  that regulates leases?  I found this on Google, no idea if its current but may be a start:

https://houstontx.gov/housing/fair-housing/flyers/2021/english/FH-Hotline-Renters-Flyer-Final-V2-081...

I am a landlord here in OZ and in our state you must now lodge your tenants bond online with the government. At end of lease both parties can make a claim so if in dispute the govt tribunal steps in which is free for tenants, but landlords pay to apply. I think its fair.

I would never give a bond directly to a private landlord if I had the choice.

Good luck.

Thanks so much Frances, I appreciate. Sub leasing is allowed in the area and county. My lease ended with the house owner a month ago . While waiting for my security deposit to be sent . But he now claims he won’t give back my security deposit.