Problems with receiving full compensation for damage caused by guests

Helen70
Level 2
Dickleburgh, United Kingdom

Problems with receiving full compensation for damage caused by guests

Hi, has anyone else had problems with Airbnb regarding compensation for damage caused by guests? Before Christmas i had guests stay who spilt something onto a bedroom rug. I took photos and requested money from the guest... this was ignored so i asked airbnb to help with compensation. I had the rug cleaned which cost £95. Sadly the stain couldnt be removed so a new rug was needed. Airbnb paid a percentage towards the new rug but will not pay for the cleaning. So, not only do i have a deficiency regarding the cost of the rug but also the cost of cleaning the rug that was damaged beyond repair. Surely this cannot be correct? I followed the rules but still ended up out of pocket and now feel that i cannot trust Airbnb anymore and am serioulsy considering another host company.

6 Replies 6
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Helen70  You have 408 reviews going back to October 2016 (6.5 years), and this is the first time you have had to filed a claim?

Airbnb  rarely pays full compensation for any claim for a variety of reasons, as you will discover when you search the subject here under the titles: 'Host Guarantee' and "AirCover'.

Helen70
Level 2

Hi Fred, yes this is the first time i have claimed but surely as hosts we should be compensated for costs incurred as a result of our homes/properties being damaged by guests?

Not exactly. Airbnb is a booking agency, brings by far the most guests in comparison to the other booking agencies and does so at only 3% to the host.

Just based on those realities, offering yet damage protection is unnecessary and even foolish. Unnecessary because they do not need it to maintain their present market share and foolish because is a source of discontent because when they do pay is only in part.  Many hosts get awfully sloppy because they feel they can rely on this 'protection' and I am sure others try to collect fraudulently, like humans do with every insurance entity.

Other services have a deposit system, which has its own set of issues. The day will come when this whole Host Guarantee/AirCover business will be history.

Having said all that I would pay you, on the fact you have been exemplary in your honesty and responsible, having but one claim in 6.5 years. If all were like you, the system would work marvelously. 🙂

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Helen70 Aircover for damage is not a regulated insurance product and all hosts are well advised to buy proper insurance which replaces old with new. Aircover only covers a depreciated amount so will never pay out in full.

When you do get proper insurance though it will almost certainly come with a hefty excess (deductible in the USA) so small losses will not be worth claiming for.

Finally you say you are considering another hosting company - You will find that none of them provide any cover so I guess at least you will not be disappointed in them when you have damage.

Helen70
Level 2

Thank you for your feedback but my main issue is that Airbnb wont pay for the cleaning of the rug.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Helen70 ,

I had raised your concern to the related team if they could look into this and provide any updates. They would get in touch with you soon!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines