Recommendations for Mattress Topper for too-firm bed

Marie6762
Level 9
Oakland, CA

Recommendations for Mattress Topper for too-firm bed

I just posted this request for suggestions on another site.

My AirBnb room queen mattress is firm, and the new frame sits a little lower than the previous frame.  It occurs to me that a mattress topper would be perfect - but the selection overwhelms me.  For several reasons I prefer to buy it online and don’t want to get stuck with something that doesn’t work or isn’t good quality.  

Does anyone currently have one they love?  And/or your guests love?  I’d greatly appreciate any suggestions- specific brands and types would be especially great!

Best wishes for health & cheer, and a brighter New Year for all!

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Marie6762   I simply use a 2" slab of high quality, soft foam. 

Here's what to undertand about foam- it comes in various densities. The density refers to how close together the molecules are. The higher the density, the better the quality. Low density foam is what you see with cheap foamies or cushions that get dips in them which don't bounce back to their original shape. 

Then you can get varying degrees of hardness or softness, which is unrelated to the density.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Marie6762 My only experience was with 2'' memory foam one I snagged on BBB clearance return rack.  I had it on a sleeper couch for ABB guest but ended up trying it in guest bedroom where I sleep sometimes, but is still hard as its really pliable and flattens out while still surrounding you with foam so its noticeably warm even hot with mattress protector, so needed more support or firm foam. Id say if you push with your hand it shouldn't easily flatten out completely. Mattresses are very subjective and support from bed frame factors in as well. 

@John5097  That's one thing I've always read and heard about memory foam, that it can get uncomfortably hot. That's one reason I just use regular, high quality foam.

@Sarah977 The bed for ABB guest is a high quality adaptive foam. I never slept on it but was $600 and got great reviews. I did lay on it and felt perfect, with softer foam on top and more firm below that. Less than a month ago I got one for myself. It had gone up to $800 in three years, but was on sale for 20% off on memorial day. I also got the same kind of metal bed that has 16 inches of clearance under it to store regular size storgage bins, as I'm running out of room to store extra blankets, pillows, linens and such. It's also noticeably warmer with waterproof matress protector, same as guest, but I like it and not waking up in the middle of the night like I had been with regular mattress. The one I had wasn't hard and even memory foam topper was improvement, so think the kind of foam you mentioned would be perfect. I was even searching for something like that. Usually memory foam is even thicker and would be even warmer. I find that having a ceiling fan helps. Guest haven't complained at all. Some mention that its a super comfy mattress, best one they slept on. One mom with a daughter said she didn't move around as much so didn't wake her up.  

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I use a feather bed topper with a zippered cover to protect it (https://www.pacificcoast.com/hotel-featherbed/MV-37308.html?referralcat=feather-beds#start=1) I like it.

I had originally bought one of those TEMPUR mattress toppers. It was so horrible and so expensive and you cannot return them. It was one of the worst purchases of my life.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Marie6762  I'm weirded out by the foam toppers, they all look about the same despite the massive differences in price.  Like you, I was overwhelmed, so we got a 'down alternative' mattress topper.  It doesn't provide the same level of cushion as one of the expensive foam toppers, but it does soften the feeling of the bed and also is washable, which I thought was important.