Repairs and amenities

Repairs and amenities

Hi everyone, I have a question about repairs. The washer machine in my Airbnb went out a day before a guest was scheduled to come. I was able to get a repairman to fix it the day after their check in day (they are there for about a week). Additionally I do not have cable on my tv only Netflix, Amazon video, and Disney plus, but they were looking for cable. Should I refund anything for these situations? Or is it okay since the washer was fixed within 24 hours and there’s other tv apps besides cable? 

2 Replies 2
Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

I wouldn’t discount for the lack of washing machine the first day. Seriously, who needs it in day 1? As far as the tv, if you put the description of what is available in your listing there is no need to discount. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mariah135 

Agreed that if the TV amenities are clearly listed, there is absolutely no need to refund for that. I really encourage guests to read the listing before booking, but if they ask for something/complain about something that is there, I find it useful to respond - but in a friendly tone - "Oh yes, as I mentioned on the listing, I don't have cable. However, I do have X, Y, Z." 

RE the washing machine, I think you did all you can and it doesn't really warrant any refund if the guests were not disrupted by the repairman's visit. 

Did the guests ask for a refund? Are they complaining? If not, I wouldn't offer them any. You might then put into their heads that it's more of a big deal than it is. The only unsolicited refunds I have given are for extra fees, e.g. I refunded some guests for storing their luggage, or even for an extra person fee, as a nice gesture because they were lovely guests. If you want to offer a small refund as a goodwill gesture, by all means go ahead, but I would decide based on whether you think these guests would really appreciate it or not.