Sacramento STR permit

Answered!
Ismael142
Level 1
Sacramento, CA

Sacramento STR permit

Hello, my name is Ismael and I’m new to this community so just wanted to introduce myself as well as ask an important question regarding STRs in the Sacramento County. I am currently a host in the Sacramento County and am having to deal with county for the STR permit which can be pretty complicated. Sacramento county currently only allows for a STR permit for a home that is the primary residence of the host to be rented for a total of 180 days, secondary residence to be rented for 90 days and if either neither primary or secondary or wanting to rent out 181 to 365 days a year a conditional use permit needs to be applied for and can be a pretty daunting process because the application consist of stamped drawings of a floor and site plan of the home, photos of of property and surrounding area and a court hearing to either approve or reject the apply and public is allowed to air any objections (which is fair). My question specifically is does anyone have any recommendations or history on the conditional use permit process since this is my preferred method of operating the STR since I would like the opportunity to rent year round? Any help or feedback is greatly appreciate?

Thank you!

1 Best Answer

@Ismael142 

Here's my story around your question.

I'm in Mendocino County, and host in my home where I'm a permanent full time resident. In order to become legal (with my use permit and business license), I submitted  the blueprints and permits for my home, well & septic, plus current photographs of my home, property, parking,  surrounding area, and stating my case why I should be approved. This went to the Planning and Zoning department in the form of packets, one for each Planning Commissioner and for the staff Planners who did the initial work. Before the public hearing, the various health and safety agencies investigated and signed off on my location. This included septic, well,  parking, fire safety at the house and evacuation plans; neighborhood safety and noise, road and driveway conditions. There were also fees for processing the application.

The public hearing went well, the planning commissioners had excellent questions, mostly about health & safety concerns, including plumbing, building maintenance, roads, fire, evacuation. As hosts we are intrinsically responsible for those things. After the Planning Commission approval was the approval of the County Supervisors, and my consent to the terms of the County Ordinance. We were given quiet hours, limit of number of guests & cars, no events or amplified music, no fires or open flames, no camping, no RV's,  and the requirement of having business insurance for fire and public liability. Once my permit was issued, I received a license to post showing that I was required to collect TOT and submit it to the County, to be posted where guests can read it.

The process took about 6 months after I assembled my packets. The cost was about $5,000. It was an excellent learning experience. All the rules and regulations are appropriate. Public health and safety are paramount, as are community and neighborhood relations. The powers that be were supportive, and clearly wanted me to succeed. It was not at all adversarial. 

Best of luck to you!

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5

@Ismael142 

Here's my story around your question.

I'm in Mendocino County, and host in my home where I'm a permanent full time resident. In order to become legal (with my use permit and business license), I submitted  the blueprints and permits for my home, well & septic, plus current photographs of my home, property, parking,  surrounding area, and stating my case why I should be approved. This went to the Planning and Zoning department in the form of packets, one for each Planning Commissioner and for the staff Planners who did the initial work. Before the public hearing, the various health and safety agencies investigated and signed off on my location. This included septic, well,  parking, fire safety at the house and evacuation plans; neighborhood safety and noise, road and driveway conditions. There were also fees for processing the application.

The public hearing went well, the planning commissioners had excellent questions, mostly about health & safety concerns, including plumbing, building maintenance, roads, fire, evacuation. As hosts we are intrinsically responsible for those things. After the Planning Commission approval was the approval of the County Supervisors, and my consent to the terms of the County Ordinance. We were given quiet hours, limit of number of guests & cars, no events or amplified music, no fires or open flames, no camping, no RV's,  and the requirement of having business insurance for fire and public liability. Once my permit was issued, I received a license to post showing that I was required to collect TOT and submit it to the County, to be posted where guests can read it.

The process took about 6 months after I assembled my packets. The cost was about $5,000. It was an excellent learning experience. All the rules and regulations are appropriate. Public health and safety are paramount, as are community and neighborhood relations. The powers that be were supportive, and clearly wanted me to succeed. It was not at all adversarial. 

Best of luck to you!

@Kitty-and-Creek0 Thank you so much for being so helpful! That honestly makes me feel so much better and that it is achievable as long as I submit a complete application as you outlined and everything goes well during the hearing 🙏🏽!! One last question, was the $5000 a one time fee or a yearly permit fee for the Conditional Use Permit!?? Thank you!

@Ismael142 

Good question 

The $5K got me through the process. My annual fee for licensing is $40. I do not know what your costs might be. 

My photos included parking spaces, turnaround, fire department access, etc. The planners required blueprints of my house plan, which had to be done by a special place that does that. You could get expert advice from the planning office, and they will be happy to assist you to voluntarily get legal, instead of having to chase you down and educate you, which starts out in an uncomfortable place for everyone. Follow all their advice, it will get you properly set up for the public hearing. The Planning Commission will totally appreciate you providing them with a good presentation. They will read and review it before the hearing, and their questions will be appropriate. If there is anything unclear before then, the Planner will be your best friend. 

Glad I could be of help! 

Kitty

@Kitty-and-Creek0 Oh, dang... $5000. I don't tink it will cost that much for sacramento county. Hopefully not that much. I'm looking into.  

@Ismael142 

In addition, I was required to remit TOT for the entire time I  had been hosting while un-permitted. This is not an optional thing, and there is a program called Host Compliance that tells them our complete history. Do go back in your hosting records and  figure out what you should have been collecting all along, so you can write a check when you are permitted.