Sales tax (occupancy tax) remittances

Sales tax (occupancy tax) remittances

Hello, I live in Ontario, Canada. I have added an occupancy\sales tax to charge guests (HST in our area) of 13%. For this, I entered my business number and my Canada Revenue Agency/HST tax number. I cannot seem to figure out how the occupancy tax is remitted. When a host manually enters a sales tax, does Airbnb remit it to the host at the end of the year OR does Airbnb remit to the government on behalf of the owner?  

6 Replies 6
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

If this language does not appear on your tax page, and you have entered your own tax amounts, then YOU will receive the taxes in your payments from AirBnB and YOU will have to report and pay them to your local government.

Under your listing, if AirBnB is collecting and remitting the taxes for your location, it should say something like this:

Occupancy tax collection
Taxes apply to your nightly price and fees for bookings, and we include them in your earnings report. Guests are shown tax amounts as part of the booking total.

Occupancy Taxes collected and remitted by Airbnb
We automatically collect these taxes from guests for each booking and remit them directly to local tax authorities. Learn more
  • Accommodations Tax (The County/City Name)
  • General Sales and Use Tax (The County/City Name)
  • General Sales and Use Tax (Name of Your State)

Justin1328
Level 2
Cornwall, Canada

I won't be adding a 13% tax to my listing. AirBNB is supposed to be doing this (by law) and remitting it to the government so I think that it's their responsibility. Adding a 13% tax when 99% of hosts aren't would just make us less competitive. Once AirBNB follows through and starts collecting HST (if they haven't already) then it will be a level playing field. Until then, I believe that AirBNB and Canada Revenue Agency will have to figure this thing out. 

I’ve been claiming my host remittance to Airbnb for weeks!!

today AURBNB CREATED A RESOLUTION ADJUSTMENT without any notice and took 767 dollars with no explanation!!!! This is ridiculous!!!!

I have to apologize because my cohost did a refund for that money

61C99DC2-1B32-4D86-8DE5-F045CCEDB920.png

Airbnb paid me the host remittance tax and invented a Resolution Adjustment to take the money back!!!

TOTAL SCAM